Living in Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, I think haole means "without breath" as the missionaries looked to be without life and pale to the native Hawaiians. I think I read that in Michener's "Hawaii".

We have not experienced much racism in a negative way. One of my children goes to a private school, but the other started public high school this fall. He has some learning disabilities and would be easily victimized but it has not happened. Both kids take the bus all over the island and have not had one incident in five years...that I know of anyway. (oh-except my daughter said that a hobo "took her lunch"???) We were pretty immersed in Mexican culture in SoCal and I was in the 3 percent of whites for eight years in the West Indies. Sometimes the Japanese shop owners will wait on all the Japanese first or if you wear nice jewelry and expensive clothes they treat you better than when you don't. But, it must be very similiar to how blacks and latinos get passed over sometimes in the South or the West or the North! You just shrug it off... My experience.

Expensive true. You don't need as much though. No clothing competition around here. And nobody really cares about your car either...so I found that the things I used to be caught up in sort of did not matter anymore and it is a relief for me and my family. I know high school parents in SoCal are constantly baraged with pressures like clothes and all the cool stuff that kids want. My kids surf and kayak and hang at the beach with their friends...a more wholesome life in my estimation.

Be prepared to be identified by your race or ethnicity. It is meant to clarify, like an adjective. "Black Tony, Filapinamarilou, Haole Catherine", etc. Personally, I think the matter of factness is a big relief.

Most "hawaiians" are HAPA--meaning a mix of Chinese, Japanese, White, Portuguese, South pacific islander, Filapino etc, etc.

OH! We don't have the child abductions and much violent crime here. The crime rate is very low. Most violent crime we do have is domestic abuse. That is a huge plus for me, not to worry about my children and the independence that affords them. (and me)

I guess it all depends. Lucky for me I have had no real problems in that area. This is a very multi-culti place. Sometimes ethnic descriptions are used to closer describe someone i.e. "Are you talking about Japanese Mark or Haole Mark?". I don't feel offended by the word as in my presence it has never been used offensively.

I speak my own "kine" of Pigeon (local slang) and have been asked where, here on the island, I grew up. I can say that when meeting someone new I sometimes get and unwelcome look, but then I kill'em with a smile and a joke and am accepted. Although blond and very white...I some how fit in. My husband has had experiences similar to Ch0ppersrule and would tell you a different story.

Right now you can get gas at Costco for 2.60 something a gallon for the cheap stuff and milk for 3.48 a gallon. If you shop wisely you can catch the sales and stock up.

We have just about everything you would want...the busy city, entertainment in Waikiki/Honolulu, laid back county life on the North Shore. Farms, Malls, beaches, woods (but here we call them jungles :D))....Hot spots, cool areas....all within an hour or two drive.

One of my biggest pet peeves is postage. If you want something from the mainland lots of companies will either only "ship to the lower 48" or charge you an arm and a leg to get what ever you want here - where if they sent it with USPS it wouldn't really be more expensive than mailing from NY to CA.

Housing....depends where you want to live. The papers are full with rentals and sales. Right now I think the average price of an average size home here is somewhere near the 550,000 mark, correct me if I'm wrong.

Check the online classifieds of the Honolulu Advertiser to give you an idea. Be ready to have several choices as the list of applicants might be long and it's not always first come first serve.

justleesa:
One of my biggest pet peeves is postage. If you want something from the mainland lots of companies will either only "ship to the lower 48" or charge you an arm and a leg to get what ever you want here - where if they sent it with USPS it wouldn't really be more expensive than mailing from NY to CA.

Aargh - this is one of my biggest peeves! Many companies will charge an extra fee for shipping to Hawaii on top of their regular shipping rates - and then it comes USPS. I just refuse to purchase from those companies, but there are more than a few that I would like to buy from.

justleesa:
Housing....depends where you want to live. The papers are full with rentals and sales. Right now I think the average price of an average size home here is somewhere near the 550,000 mark, correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually, I think the median price on a home is closer to $650,000 now - although it dropped a tiny bit last month. I believe the rental market is still pretty tight right now, with the cost of homes still so high.

chepar:
Actually, I think the median price on a home is closer to $650,000 now - although it dropped a tiny bit last month. I believe the rental market is still pretty tight right now, with the cost of homes still so high.

I guess that shows you that I'm not shopping :D

When I look at the listings there is a lot of stuff out there - but the quality of what is offered does not always justify the asking price.

justleesa:
When I look at the listings there is a lot of stuff out there - but the quality of what is offered does not always justify the asking price.

Yup - I've been keeping an eye on home prices for a while now - and it's crazy. My sister bought a place a couple of years ago, right before the housing market took off. One year later her neighbor in an identical unit sold his place for over $100,000 more than what she bought her place for.

I've been saving and saving - but I can't keep up with that kind of price inflation. I'm hoping the market takes a downward turn so housing becomes more affordable soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

What is really more important than the prices, is the interest rates. Buying a house at a few points less over thirty years will make the price fluctuations look insignificant. (NOT that they are...just sayin) Better to buy anything and get in the market than wait for lower prices if the interest rates are increasing. What are the rates doing, anybody know?

Yes, housing prices are insane.

good point. Hey, just got some good ol Navy Federal rates for my car. Bye bye BMW financing.

The roads were superior by far in Indonesia, than Oahu. Still, love Hawaii, the people, all of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom