Living Underwater Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

<bias warning>

It stands for "doing it right"; there's a subset of divers who have the idea that there's only one way to go about diving correctly, and they have published a set of rules governing equipment and practices. Many "DIR" divers I have met have been snooty insufferable bores about it, but to be fair, I haven't met that many of them. It could every well be that I have met more of them than I realize and they just didn't make such a point of being right about everything and all the rest of us, by distinction, being all wrong. It could also be that my viewpoint has been slanted by my exposure to a few unpleasant DIR divers and the majority are fine folks.

<snicker>

Many "DIR" divers I have met have been snooty insufferable bores about it, but to be fair, I haven't met that many of them.

Hey Gordon,

You sure got that right. Man, what IS it with these guys? I ran across one in Palau a few months ago. He was yammering on about how dangerous all of us were and how we were so much more likely to get hurt or killed. Then he made this HUGE production of getting his gear ready and was always looking around to make sure everyone was watching him. I made it a point to NOT watch him because he'd already annoyed the crap out of me.

So he goes through this huge production and the dive was Mandarin Fish Lake in Palau. If you've never been there, it's a "novelty dive" in about 12 feet of water. Could have dove the whole thing with a pony, no BC and no wetsuit.... Heck, you could even skip the fins.

-Charles

Charles - the last dive I did actually was at Mandarin Fish Lake - that all wasn't a dive, it was a snorkel with a tank on your back. You gave me a great laugh after a rough night in The Pit (at work in the ER)... thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom