Lizard Island fatality - Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am sorry you feel that way, but posting what little I find is in hope that others will add to the discussion when they learn more. May I suggest that you not read this forum.

Please keep posting, DandyDon. You are usually the one to first report on these incidents which then alerts others to search for more information in various areas. You get us started, so please keep up the good work.

Please keep posting, DandyDon. You are usually the one to first report on these incidents which then alerts others to search for more information in various areas. You get us started, so please keep up the good work.
2nd. Please keep sharing. I like to read this and DAN reports in hopes to make me more aware of things that we always hope won't go wrong but sometimes do. It makes us better divers when we are more informed. It was just a misunderstanding here. :)

I just got back from a 7 day Spirit of Freedom trip. I spoke with the crew about this incident. They said she must have had a heart attack, as they found her in the water by herself on the bottom. They quickly rushed her to the boat and tried to perform CPR. The two first mates acted swiftly and did as much as they could to try and save her. It knocked them around a fair bit having experienced this.

I just got back from a 7 day Spirit of Freedom trip. I spoke with the crew about this incident. They said she must have had a heart attack, as they found her in the water by herself on the bottom. They quickly rushed her to the boat and tried to perform CPR. The two first mates acted swiftly and did as much as they could to try and save her. It knocked them around a fair bit having experienced this.
I can only imagine how it has affected the crew. :( I hope you had a good time otherwise...I'm headed onto the Spirit in October. :)

I can only imagine how it has affected the crew. :( I hope you had a good time otherwise...I'm headed onto the Spirit in October. :)
It was incredible. Cant recommend it enough! A bit sad seeing all the bleached and dead coral, plus a few sites that were decimated by Crown of Thorns or cyclones, but otherwise very colourful.

....they found her in the water by herself on the bottom...

Where's her dive buddy / guide? How long was she unconscious on the bottom?

I'll be there (Code Hole) in November with Spoilsport. Just curious about what's the official report of her death.

Where's her dive buddy / guide? How long was she unconscious on the bottom?

I'll be there (Code Hole) in November with Spoilsport. Just curious about what's the official report of her death.
It's not the first fatality in that time period that ended like that, unfortunately. There was also one in Indonesia and in that situation they noticed she was missing when she didn't surface. I agree in both cases...Where is the dive buddy? Wouldn't they have noticed right away? It's strange...

It may have only taken a few moments. You're not looking at your dive buddies every single moment of your dive - otherwise you'd never see anything but them!

Back
Top Bottom