loaded question about dive trips...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shark.byte.usa:
I was going to say that, glad somebody did :wink: Every boat, every dive, same hotel...What a nightmare!

That's really the difference isn't it? What really happens is you go solo and you end up trying to find a buddy on your way out to the dive site on a boat with a bunch of strangers. Maybe you hook up with somone that is halfway decent and stays with you through the week but that is pretty rare. All the dive op cares about is getting your money and getting you on the boat. After that it is all up to you. I personally don't have a problem with that but much prefer to dive with some folks that I at least have some minimal connection to.

As I said before..to each his/her own. This is all personal preference.

Your right of course, it's all personal preference and personality. I would prefer diving with people I like and know too, don't get me wrong, but meeting a bunch of people you don't know on a dive trip through an LDS is no different than meeting them at a site IMO, the exception being you can't escape them for the week on your high(er) priced vacation; your choices are limited. There are shop employees and divers I'd just as soon drown myself rather than have to endure them for a couple days :wink:. I'll dive with just about anyone once, I like being able to choose if I dive with them again or the op/boat again. And the 2,3,$400 I may save by booking myself is just icing on the cake that I can use for an extra couple boat dives or a new piece of gear or shopping...whatever. That's me, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a trip with an LDS though, especially straight out of OW class.

-Garrett

It could be worse, you could get stuck on a liveaboard with them...:)

Hasn't happened to me yet, but that's why there's iPods..

sjspeck:
It could be worse, you could get stuck on a liveaboard with them...:)

Hasn't happened to me yet, but that's why there's iPods..

Believe me I've been there. 4-day livaboard dive boat errr fishing boat out of San Carlos. No bunks..they handed us sleeping mats and we were packed like sardines on the floor of the bridge in 90 degree heat with 80% humidity. Four decent people (including my wife and I), one "Navy Seal", and a nazi DM.

The diving was great though.

Through an LDS or booking on your own??

Hopefully you meet some buddies at your LDS when you take your classes, probably not in your ow class based on your other thread. You may want to check out SingleDivers.com as well. Once you get certified come out to the lake and join us for a dive or two, great way to practice and get wet.

On another note, based on your profile and the OP on this thread, maybe I'm making an assumption but it seems to me you think you may be partying all night, diving all day. I don't know how much information you've read yet, but drinking and diving don't mix. You should learn all about this in class.

-Garrett

I like having it done for me.It might be more,but yet it's done.I don't think scuba science's trips are too much.You get what you pay for.

shark.byte.usa:
the exception being you can't escape them for the week on your high(er) priced vacation; your choices are limited. There are shop employees and divers I'd just as soon drown myself rather than have to endure them for a couple days :wink:. I'll dive with just about anyone once, I like being able to choose if I dive with them again or the op/boat again.
-Garrett

I feel the same about being stuck with people I dont like, diving, eating, sleeping all week long. People that dont dive the way I like to etc. so I do tend to stay away from large group trips most of the time. I have to admit though, I did go on scuba Sciences Bonaire trip (2006) and it was one of the best trips I've done (except my cave trips) There was about 25 of us but it was arranged with 4 to a condo. So we hooked up with another couple that we enjoy being with and diving with. THe thing about Bonaire is that you get a truck for the week and you can go where you like, when you like. We werent stuck with anyone we didnt want to be with. We came and went on our own schedule and did some serious diving. I think we had the best of both worlds....all arrangements were done for us (and they were great) and we werent stuck with a group we didnt like.
I'd do this trip again but of course pre-arranged with another couple to share the condo with.

scubatimmay:
I like having it done for me.It might be more,but yet it's done.I don't think scuba science's trips are too much.You get what you pay for.
Suprise Suprise, nothing like having an objective opinion :wink:

Nice brand new account Timmay

KazInAz:
THe thing about Bonaire is that you get a truck for the week and you can go where you like, when you like. We werent stuck with anyone we didnt want to be with. We came and went on our own schedule and did some serious diving.
Sounds great, I'd love to go to Bonaire...Maybe this year :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom