Lobster nets.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ana

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know using lobster nets is probably the least efficient way to catch them, but I like using a net with a tickle stick.
I get fewer because it takes me longer per bug, but my success rate is through the roof with them.

Don't recall when I bought the one I'm using currently but looking at photo records in Feb 2019, I asked my husband to do something about the handle because it wasn't just right for me. He did this for me.
IMG_20190217_162903184.jpg

Well... Fast forward a few years and las weekend I realized the net has a few holes so it may be time to retire it because it has a few holes and the loop with the clip is all falling apart.
Unfortunately getting old makes me forget staff at an amazing rate. By Monday morning thoughts of the net were long gone. This morning i get up and see my husband patiently dealing with all the small holes in the net, and redoing the handle, because we forgot to buy a new one.
I will love using this net today.

PXL_20220820_115518817.jpg

PXL_20220820_115541921.MP.jpg

Pretty cool-

So you coax the lobster out of it's hole and then use the net to catch?

Definitely seems like more of a patience/art than the lanyard style I have seen.

... and see my husband patiently dealing with all the small holes in the net,....
That's a quality repair!! @Zieg has been hunting Florida lobsters before 'loopers' were invented. I used to dive with a commercial friend who used a stick and net and he would regularly out-catch me. He was able to quickly tickle 2-3 bugs at a time from a hole and net them all at once.

Like we all say..."Catching lobsters is easy......Finding them is HARD !! "

Pretty cool-

So you coax the lobster out of it's hole and then use the net to catch?

Definitely seems like more of a patience/art than the lanyard style I have seen.
Yes that's exactly what I do... By doing that i can tell if it is a female with eggs before too much disturbance, also if it is an obvious short. It takes much longer for sure, i think my husband uses about half the time sometimes less per bug, but it isn't a race for me.
Typically by the end of August we already have a bunch in the freezer, has given some to friends, and also ate many meals of lobster... Definitely don't feel like i need to be more efficient. Going at my pace works for me.

Here is a demonstration of that method filmed today.
Nice Textbook catch !!

Go to a snare, you'll never look back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom