Lobster trap diver missing - Portsmouth, New Hampshire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Fosters.com - Dover NH, Rochester NH, Portsmouth NH, Laconia NH, Sanford ME
PORTSMOUTH — A search is set to resume this morning for the body of a 69-year-old local man who failed to resurface after he went diving Friday morning near the Sarah Long Bridge.

Portsmouth Fire Department Chief Steve Achilles said the man was checking a line of lobster traps when he went missing. His identity was being withheld Friday evening to allow family members to be notified of his death.

Achilles said the diver submerged from a 17-foot boat, carrying an air supply that would have lasted about an hour. A friend or family member remained in the boat while he was underwater, Achilles said.

New Hampshire Marine Patrol then received a call for help around 10:45 a.m. — more than an hour later — when the man failed to reappear. A search commenced about 70 yards downstream of the Sarah Long Bridge, and rescue personnel from the Portsmouth Fire Department waited on alert for more than an hour to render medical aid, but by 1 p.m., the operation had converted into a recovery effort.

Boats from the fire department, U.S. Coast Guard, state Fish and Game Department and New Hampshire Marine Patrol were dispatched to the area at various times during the search. Dive operations and side scan sonar searches were expected to resume this morning.

Achilles said the deceased diver is a man who lived in the area, but no further information was available Friday. The man was checking a trawl line Friday morning.

“I don’t know if he was doing repairs or just checking his traps,” he said. “That will be something that, an interview will have to be done.”

What would really be helpful is information posted when the cause of the accident is determined. As I diver, I do want to know causes so I can take steps not to be next. Knowing something happened to someone, someplace it a bit limited in value, but this is often all we have.

As for this incident, the first question is what was he doing? Private citizens are not allowed to catch lobsters in NH. Commercial fishermen just pull the pot up for repairs or to harvest & bait. Divers hanging lobster pots are targets, fisherman take poaching very, very seriously. Being a 69yo, cardiac issues are always front and center as an issue.

All too often commercial concerns take over and causes are not reported, especially when a local operation should be castigated. And Don, I'm most disappointed I didn't get to meet you when you were here recently. I haven't met many "grim reapers" here or anywhere - just one here, in fact.

What would really be helpful is information posted when the cause of the accident is determined. As I diver, I do want to know causes so I can take steps not to be next. Knowing something happened to someone, someplace it a bit limited in value, but this is often all we have.
Well, based on questionable news reporting, about all we can do is look at possible causes and how to avoid those - but that can be a good approach still. Only in the Los Angeles area do we have a member with inside info who shares with us when he can.

I suppose different members could volunteer to follow up cases, take one each, seek out police reports & coronor reports if & when they become available. Anyone...??

As for this incident, the first question is what was he doing? Private citizens are not allowed to catch lobsters in NH. Commercial fishermen just pull the pot up for repairs or to harvest & bait. Divers hanging lobster pots are targets, fisherman take poaching very, very seriously. Being a 69yo, cardiac issues are always front and center as an issue.
I suppose he was licensed and felt a need to dive his traps for whatever reasons. A followup story said he was a PE teacher for 28 years, active volunteer in the community, and a lobsterman since he was a kid - one of the few people in the area who was both a lobsterman and a diver. See Outpouring of support shown for Tony Rahn's family | SeacoastOnline.com

All too often commercial concerns take over and causes are not reported, especially when a local operation should be castigated. And Don, I'm most disappointed I didn't get to meet you when you were here recently. I haven't met many "grim reapers" here or anywhere - just one here, in fact.
True, often the facts acquired are sealed until court cases close years later.

I haven't been to Belize since before your partnership broke up, then meeting the other fellow. I was very impressed with that operation and sorry to hear it ended. Glad you're back there, and I'm sure whatever you're doing is tops. If I planned a trip there, I would have asked you for help even if you weren't.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A large number of off topic posts on how or why the OP posts these deaths have been deleted. Please respect the special rules of this forum and stay on topic discussing the accident itself. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

I suppose he was licensed and felt a need to dive his traps for whatever reasons. A followup story said he was a PE teacher for 28 years, active volunteer in the community, and a lobsterman since he was a kid - one of the few people in the area who was both a lobsterman and a diver. See Outpouring of support shown for Tony Rahn's family | SeacoastOnline.com

The story was enlightening, seems like a nice guy and you are right, there are not many divers who are also commercial lobstermen, that is like oil and water.

Pure speculation: Since he was not harvesting (illegal permit or not on scuba in NH), perhaps he had a pot entangled and was trying to retrieve it. The river is pretty low vis and the current can be tough depending on the tide. It's one place in NH I have never tried to dive as the shore dives in ME on the other side of the river are more my speed.

Back
Top Bottom