Lobster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sealskin98:
Now I understand your position. You have a point. I thought you were talking about all underwater hunting.

On your post on spearfishing when you were in Ca., I think that if spearfishing is going to be on the agenda everyone on the boat should be aware of it before you even leave the dock.

It was a surprise. I was nosing around a rock or something on the bottom looking at a fish, and this guy just swam up behind me and shot it. I had no idea he even had a speargun with him.

Sounds like we kind of think alike on trophies…if you ain’t gonna eat it, don’t take it. But giving your opinion to a waiter that has nothing to do with the menu could be considered “bad form.”

Not in context, I believe. The couple of times it's happened it was a special that the waiter was pushing. I replied that I don't eat marlin; he asked why and I told him.

I don’t understand your position on billfish, unless you mean something about the populations or something on them. When the wife hooked a marlin in Coz. about 10 years ago it was catch-and-release…it broke the line. :D

Explain more please. I personally just don’t like firm-fleshed fish like marlin; I prefer something like red snapper, orange roughy, or the mahi mahi like you are talking about. Shellfish are even better.

That's it; the populations of marlin have declined greatly over the past couple of decades, due mostly to indiscriminate long-liners. It's also now illegal to keep sailfish in Mexican waters. Marlin aren't that tasty, anyway, from what I've heard (maybe some time I'll order it anyway to find out); they are worth far more as a sport fish than as food. I'd rather release one to let someone else have the thrill of fighting it as a worthy opponent than to kill it either as a trophy or for food.

Eww, greasy birds. I’d rather do quail or pheasant…even prairie chicken. :D

I still have Dad’s Belgium Browning Sweet 16.

Actually, wild ducks (other than spoonbills, merganzers, coots...) are far less greasy than domestic duck. "Good" ducks (mallards, pintails, teal, etc.) shot over rice fields have no fat between skin and breast and no marbling. Wild geese are a little more fatty, but they gumbo up good.

I've still got my Browning 12 gauge automatic that my dad gave me when I was 14. It''s a beautiful old gun, made in the 40's.

I’ll let you know when I’ll be down; we can discuss this further. I think that we have gotten off-topic…this was supposed to be about lobstering in Coz. Then we can talk a bit about wade-fishing the flats around Corpus Christi.

Cool. To everyone else - sorry about the OT posts; we return you now to our regularly scheduled programming already in progress... ;^)

Back
Top Bottom