Lobsterman nabbed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fifteen years or so ago I new a guy on Long Island who started lobstering on his own after working on someone else's boat. He "lost" a bunch of traps the first week, his solution, he spent the day cutting the buoys off everyone else’s pots .... he was never bothered again.

Yup, no territorial in fighting there.

I knew a former deckhand on one of the offshore lobster boats who had similar stories. He got out of the business but he said one of the tricks the captain he worked for liked to use if he thought someone was fishing in his turf was to "take their pots for a ride." He'd haul a string of pots up (several pots connected by a line with a float on each end of the string), take the lobsters, move the pots maybe a mile and then drop them and cut the floats. This would make it impossible to drag for the lost pots and recover them.

There are definitely some nasty rivalries and feuds in that industry.

Last edited:
all came from commercial lobstermen. One of them was incredulous that I wouldn't keep all the over-sized lobsters I'd seen on the dive.
"Hell, you just put 'em in a bag or a trap and come back afta daak and pull 'em up. That's what we do". Notice the word "do"? I was so pissed that I just shook my head and walked away :catfight:

Fifteen years or so ago I new a guy on Long Island who started lobstering on his own after working on someone else's boat. He "lost" a bunch of traps the first week, his solution, he spent the day cutting the buoys off everyone else’s pots .... he was never bothered again.

Yup, no territorial in fighting there.

I am wondering if I know this guy? He sounds like someone who was a big Doria techie? Hmmm.

X

p.s. thanks for the info. on the copepods!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom