Lobsters on a Plane????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pensacola

Registered
Reaction score
Can I put my bug tails in an ice chest and check them for the flight home?? Couldn't find this info on the TSA website?

I used to bring Maine lobsters down to Miami. As long as the lobsters were cold, they lasted. We used a cardboard box lined with stryofoam filled with lobsters and ice packs. Taped it up really good, tagged and put the box on the plane.

Last summer Wayward son vaccuum sealed some for me. We froze them solid with dry ice and I packed them in a collapsable cooler. I then wrapped that in my wetsuit and put it in my dive dag. They made it all the way from Ft. Lauderdale to Indiana with a long stopover in Pittsburgh

The hook works for me!

pensacola:
Can I put my bug tails in an ice chest and check them for the flight home?? Couldn't find this info on the TSA website?
you can put them in a cooler and put dry ice on them just have to let the airline know that there is dry ice . I used to take fish back to Arizona all the time before i moved to Florida

lol, it wouldn't be an interesting movie, but then again snakes on a plane was a joke...

don't want to sound retarded here, but where can one buy dry ice?

Most supermarkets have dry ice. Might be easier to wrap them well and send it home FedEx or UPS. A cheap strofoam cooler, dry ice, and lobsters isn't going to weigh that much.

Don't forget that dry ice has to breathe or it WILL explode your package. That would be quite a sight for the baggage handlers to open the belly of the plane and find lobster tails everywhere!:rofl3:

I thought they only allowed dry ice, as normal ice has the potential to leak liquids all over the aircraft.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom