Local dive shop in Venice CA, refuses to fill tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation:
There are technically two real shops in Venice, CA (the REAL Venice, for you Florida-dites...not far from the REAL Hollywood.) I know both of these guys. One is a complete sweetheart and the other can be a little jerky.

We're only hearing one side of the story here. Some balance and tact is in order.

That said, if he won't fill ya, ther are several within 10 minutes of Venice that will.

K

The shop owner is more than welcome to post his side of the story here if he has intestinal fortitude to do so. Refusing to fill someones tanks cause they were bought somewhere else is plain rediculous. Personally i wouldn't have any problem posting the name of a shop that that has such poor bussiness practices to be so petty to not fill his tanks cause they were purchased from sports chalet. If the tanks were old and of a safety concern without the proper VIP or hydro that would be another matter, but it seems that is not the case here.

This is one of those cases where the good shops need to rewarded and the bad ones need to fade away.

Could it be he may have had a concern about the integrity and/or inspection history of those tanks, based on past experience? Maybe he didn't want to have a tank explode in his store.

Or maybe he ran out of milk for his Cocoa Puffs that morning.

James Goddard:
Not kidding at all. I had gone on a Cozumel trip with this store, taken rescue and cavern there and sent them 2 new OW students just a short time before. I emailed them because I wanted to take the DAN DEMP course and they told me I would not be allowed to take it. Called and asked why and the owner told me it was because of the class I'm taking with the other shop and since he's had "some problems" with the other shop I would not be allowed on the premises...

The owner is a nutjob, plain and simple.

James

That's ridiculous that they treated you that way. Calling that owner a nutjob is kind.

Michael

mccabejc:
Could it be he may have had a concern about the integrity and/or inspection history of those tanks, based on past experience? Maybe he didn't want to have a tank explode in his store.

Or maybe he ran out of milk for his Cocoa Puffs that morning.

As for the Cocoa puffs, I can't say...

Integrity or inspection history would be a different story. I can't imagine a diver who wouldn't want to know if his tanks were not going to hold up when diving.

Sure, virtually all of them would be on here complaining, about the replacement cost, but not about being thrown out of a shop.

Now, would a responsible dive store owner throw you out of a shop for questionable tanks? No, he'd try to sell you new ones.

So, unless someone was trying to hit on someone's under age child, I think this is comming across pretty straight.

I didn't want to distract from the point of my post with details but here goes.

Dive store was VERY close, about one mile north, to Sport Chalet in Marina Del Rey.

I had my PADI Rescue Card and Nitrox Card.

I wanted to get two tanks filled EAN32 and this place was recommended (on this board!) as a place that didn't do partial pressure fills, i.e. O2 cleaning not required, in fact, when calling the previous day, worker who answered said NOT to bring O2 clean tanks as they would not be O2 clean after they filled them with EAN32.

Tank #1 was a PST E7-80. Hydro 02-04. with current viz sticker.

Tank #2 was a Faber white 72 Hydro 02-04 BRAND NEW, no viz sticker, cap still in neck, boot still uninstalled, valve still in wrapper.

I don't believe there was a safety issue here.

The most surprising thing I see here is that divers are surprised that LDS could behave this way. The question is how do we accelerate the demise of shops like this so the good shops can be rewarded.

Verify reports, publish names...

kelpmermaid:
I, too, did the math on this one when I read it...and now I'm curious.

If it's Ocean Adventures, that'd be a bummer, since they are the only real local ones that fill EANx... even tho I rarely get it.....

edit - Just read the above post, mile N of Evil Empire, pumps EANx membrane.........looks like OA to me

More bad publicity? Recall the drifting dan incident....

Drawing a blank on the other shop.....

Chris

I think this is a related and appropriate question with a positive spin. If not, let me know because I'm not trying to hijack this thread.

For those of you that live in and around the Venice area, who do you like to use or recommend as the LDS?

I'm specifically thinking about someone I know of, who lives in Venice and has expressed an interest in taking lessons. I'd like to pass along the recommendation. I'd like to send the money to the "good guys".

Thanks.

Christian

ChrisM:
Drawing a blank on the other shop.....

Chris

The other shop is Splash, and it does not fit the criteria mentioned.

Frankly, I drive to Beverly Hills and go to Reef Seekers. No nitrox there, though.

Ah right, Splash

Speaking of fills... Sport Chalet Torrance is now FIVE DOLLARS for a fill...sheesh!

Dive N Surf was 4.50 last time I checked......

I try to get to RS too for fills, but the cost and time to drive there offsets any money savings. I never really buy anything from LDS except fills anymore......

Chris

Back
Top Bottom