Local dive sites in Georgia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask but I am wondering where to dive in Georgia? I'm from the Atlanta area and all I see is Lake Lanier. That dive seems rather cold and extremely low vis!
I know that there are quarry's in Alabama and springs in Florida but I'm looking for some place a little closer to go diving. I usually go to the Florida panhandle as it is only about 5 hours drive. If anyone else is from Georgia let my know where you do your "local" dives.

Thanks,
JKS

After mapquesting the city, I don't feel so bad about not recognizing Locust Grove. I lived in Norcross and my wife still does. One of us will soon tranfer so we are finally again in the same city. Likely we will be in Norcross.

Anyway, there isn't much in Georgia. However, you are a good bit closer to great springs diving in North Central Florida. Ginnie Springs is probably about 4 hours from you, since you get to miss the Atlanta traffic going south.

http://underwaterflorida.homestead.com/springs.html

That should give you a good idea of what is where.

Dont forget Savannah and the South/North Carolina Coast. I'm taking classes in July and get my Open water in Sept in the Keys but have done ALOT of research looking for dive sites close to Atlanta.

Unfortunately there isnt much that I've found. I am looking forward to the Fla springs!

Hi-
I am in Atlanta, and if you really want to dive, you're going to have to drive. It depends on what you are looking for.

The quarry in Alabama is a nice dive, but it's still pretty cold, and 2 and a half hours away. Lake Lanier is good for diving too, but, then again, it depends on what you like. If you want pretty fish, clear viz, and warmth, you're not going to find it in Georgia, unless you go off the coast by Savannah.

If you want details about the quarry or Lake Lanier, please PM me.

Thanks everyone, I was afraid that I would have to drive to dive. I may try out Lanier this summer but for now I will stick to springs, gulf and Atlantic.
Thanks,
JKS

JKSteger:
I may try out Lanier this summer but for now I will stick to springs, gulf and Atlantic.

Stick with the other dive sites you mentioned Lake Latrine isn't worth the time it takes to gear up, it's that messy. :headshake

Meanwhile, I understand that the quarry in Pelham AL is decent as is Lake Jocasse (NC?).

Bonne chance,

There are good diving spots offshore south of Savannah, both wreck and reef. Grays Reef National Marine Sanctuary is great! Check out TLC Charters for further info.

JKSteger:
I don't know if this is the correct place to ask but I am wondering where to dive in Georgia? I'm from the Atlanta area and all I see is Lake Lanier. That dive seems rather cold and extremely low vis!
I know that there are quarry's in Alabama and springs in Florida but I'm looking for some place a little closer to go diving. I usually go to the Florida panhandle as it is only about 5 hours drive. If anyone else is from Georgia let my know where you do your "local" dives.

Thanks,
JKS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom