Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From that:
"If the violation is not serious, the safety of pedestrians, passengers, and the general public is not affected, and the driver is a tourist the transit agent must issue a courtesy violation. This warning may only be issued to tourists who violate the transit regulations and will not generate a monetary penalty. Its objective is to indicate which violation was committed and to enforce the rules of transportation. The courtesy ticket may only be issued on two occasions to the same vehicle and/or driver."

I have been pulled over 3 times in Q. Roo, once was by a motorcycle cop (kid on a small motorbike) in Cozumel. The best thing I have found is to not speak Spanish. All 3 times they cops worked hard towards me paying a bribe and I acted stupid. The first time I really didn't get what the guy was after for awhile. After them threatening me with taking my ID and having to retrieve it from the court they all eventually gave it back to me and told me to slow down. It was interesting that none of them asked for a drivers license. They wanted something that was important to me. I suspect they would be happy to see a C-Card, Credit card or anything like that.

I was once in an old jeep with a Mexican friend, not well to do either, when he was pulled over. The cops gave him the dickens over not having a drivers license. They noticed I was listening and asked if I understood Spanish. When they knew that I did they let him loose. He told me that if I wasn't there he would have had to pay a bribe.

We were pulled over in the jeep another time by Federal Police. They carefully checked the other 3 peoples ID but would not even look at mine.

Don, I'm surprised you never took the bus - you stay right in downtown. When I stay at places in town, the Uniper Bus and the Collectivos are (were?) invaluable. I love to walk, but a trip to Chedraui & back with groceries and beer was always an occasion to take the bus, and way cheaper than a taxi. Sometimes I would just take a bus and see where it went - very cheap sightseeing to the inner 'hoods of the island.

Once I was invited to dinner at a friend's house, so I took the bus to Chedraui. Once there, the bus drivers helped me figure out which bus to take to their house which was back where the numbered streets don't make much sense to me. like near the corner of 35 Sur & 8 Sur. Great. I was on the right bus, but where to get off? In my bad Spanish I asked my fellow passengers for a clue. One gal knew the general address and got off with me to make sure I got there. Thankfully I got a ride home haha. It's still a fond memory of connecting with kind locals. I do hope something evolves in Uniper's place.

Disappointed because I did not know the UNIPER routes and Taxi Union's colectivo routes? I'd heard about them, but figured that they were beyond my needs & abilities to understand & use. And you offer so much valuable information here and on your site that it's challenging to keep up with. Anyway, you have my appreciation. Your site is a lot more dependable than google and its maps.

The former commander in chief who has been largely silent since losing the election even came out and made a statement today about the violence. I can't describe it but there's a different feel here in the last year - there were plenty of problems before but it's different now..... The past Admin was very vocal, this whole group is very silent.

The former commander in chief who has been largely silent since losing the election even came out and made a statement today about the violence. I can't describe it but there's a different feel here in the last year - there were plenty of problems before but it's different now..... The past Admin was very vocal, this whole group is very silent.

15th Ave? That's Los Otates' street and pretty close/bordering the tourist area. Violence must be closing in there like everywhere. What ever happened to no Mexican Citizen can legally own a gun other than military/law enforcement? So much for that... Seems the criminals have no problem acquiring guns and now they are on Cozumel shooting the place up in broad daylight. I wonder what the name of this "eatery" was on 15th. Wonderful. Stuff like this continues and it may be time to think about other destinations... They may cost more but I've no time for worrying about the next gun fight among drug dealers taking place in the eatery I'm dining in.

15th Ave? That's Los Otates' street and pretty close/bordering the tourist area. Violence must be closing in there like everywhere. What ever happened to no Mexican Citizen can legally own a gun other than military/law enforcement? So much for that... Seems the criminals have no problem acquiring guns and now they are on Cozumel shooting the place up in broad daylight. I wonder what the name of this "eatery" was on 15th. Wonderful. Stuff like this continues and it may be time to think about other destinations... They may cost more but I've no time for worrying about the next gun fight among drug dealers taking place in the eatery I'm dining in.

It was at 15 between 2 and 4 - opposite end of town from Los Otates - Temptations Restaurant, not a high tourist traffic spot..... Pero.....

There was the shooting at Hemingways, of course the ever popular Marlins and last week they caught a well known drug lady on Melgar at Sednea? with three guys and a gun in the car.

My take is that blankety blank used to have a heavy hand in controling things here - whether he did it the good or bad way - he has been under a lot of scrutiny and the new police chief is about as sideways as they come. Within months, the police chief was involved in an injury related accident and of course drove off to the police station and that whole thing was wiped clean.. There used to be reports of large amount drug busts but those don't really happen that often anymore...... The few large round ups they did downtown were completed by units from the mainland, not local, and those guys were just the normal street dealers. Every act of gun violence is directly related back to drugs - seems that a few guys are having the machismo syndrome because PP isn't around directing traffic anymore....... Just my simple take on things

This is better news and more worriesome!!!

NADCAPTURE CROCODILE SWIMMING IN WESTERN HOTEL POOL
At the same accommodation center in the year 2019, a crocodile attacked a tourist who went swimming in the swimming pool
#Cozumel. – Workers at the Western hotel, located at kilometer 17 of the south coastal road, noticed the presence of the crocodile of more than two meters, which entered the swimming pool early Thursday morning.
Immediately, the presence of the staff of the Ecology Sub-Direction was requested to capture the reptile that, at the time, remained calm inside the pool.
The crocodile was caught without any setbacks, even hours later it was moved and released on the "Punta Sur" ecological reserve, in its natural habitat.
It should be remembered that, in the same hotel, in November 2019, a crocodile attack was recorded towards a tourist who entered to bathe in the pool, who suffered head injuries and had to be transferred to the hospital.
Luckily, the tourist suffered no serious injuries, who was known to have entered for a dip during the dawn, when the crocodile remained at the bottom of the pool.
1660280451697.png

Mobile is where it's at. Do you have a good FB page to act as a quick channel? I have to say that your website looks like the year 2000 called. Very plain and uninviting with bare lists of links leading to walls of text. Chock full of information, for sure. I'll bookmark it and reference it but the current gen probably wants more sizzle to go with the substance. One glaring omission on your site is a search box. Many users will be looking for something specific and won't want to read through a long list of links to figure out which one it would be under.
That's why I like the site. I want actual info when I'm looking for info. If the current gen finds reading too difficult, then they can see what good they can get out of a TikTok or Instagram search.

Good thread!

Are there any updates on:

Recent rash of food poisonings at the Grand Occidental?

Any update on the fire at the Allegro?

Back
Top Bottom