Local News

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder what it takes to make those bricks, and will they really last?

Maybe almost as long as a mausoleum?
Maybe. "his bricks are made from ground sargassum, limestone and other organic material. The sargassum content of each sargablock is about 40%. The sargassum mixture is fed into a block-making machine, which compresses and molds it into bricks measuring approximately 30 centimeters. After drying in the sun for around six hours, the sargablocks – which are considerably cheaper to make than regular bricks – are ready to be used in construction projects."

Limestone is stronger than concrete if it's sealed, but can break down when exposed to rain containing carbon oxide yielding carbonic acid which is how all Cenotes were formed, Carlsbad Caverns, and many other caves and sinkholes. I question his use of other organic material as well as the seaweed itself, and since he does not mention sealing, I fear that it would be susceptible to rain and saltwater both.

Limestone is stronger than concrete if it's sealed, but can break down when exposed to rain containing carbon oxide yielding carbonic acid which is how all Cenotes were formed, Carlsbad Caverns, and many other caves and sinkholes.
You know that process takes millions of years, right? Carbonic acid is formed when carbon dioxide is dissolved in water, but in extremely low concentrations when water is exposed to air where CO2 concentrations are very low. Carbonic acid is also a very weak acid; it does not readily dissociate in aqueous solution, which is the process by which an acid splits into ions that react with other substances.

There may be other reasons why the sargassum bricks might not be as robust as hoped, but degradation of the limestone they contain by rainwater because of carbonic acid content isn't something I would be concerned about.

Reactions: JFS
The speedy wheels of justice.
I seriously doubt that many of the diamonds will ever be recovered at this point.

"One of the two now-fired prosecutors reportedly headed the State Attorney General’s Office (FGE) of Quintana Roo during the FGR diamond seizure in 2014. While the pair remain unemployed, federal officials will carry out the procedures to check the legitimate ownership using invoices found for 4,569 jewels and diamonds insured by the FGR in Cancun in 2014." That's a lot of pricey rocks! I wonder if the attorneys will really be punished.

I wonder if this could help west coast Americans...

Around that time there was a robbery at one of the big diamond shops on the island.

The story was that the accomplices were rounded up and arrested while the ring leader escaped with the loot by boat to somewhere on the mainland

Around that time there was a robbery at one of the big diamond shops on the island.

The story was that the accomplices were rounded up and arrested while the ring leader escaped with the loot by boat to somewhere on the mainland
Or the local got the loot and the 'ring leader' ended up in the jungle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom