Local Springs? Help please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bobb

Reaction score
Hi, my nephew and I are driving to Panama City tomorrow night and are planning to do a walk in at St. Andrews state park...I was interested in any of the springs that are available locally (within an hour or so)...I know that this is last minute, but time just flew by this week...thanks in advance.
Bobb

Hopefully someone will be able to chime in before you go to give you better info. All of mine is coming from DeLoach's Dive Guide book for FL. It looks like the closest springs to Panama City are north, near Marianna. The list for that are is:

1. Merrit's Mill Pond/Blue Springs; Twin Caves; Shangri La Springs; Indian Washtub; Gator Spring.
2. Blue Hole
3. Bozell Springs
4. Gadsen Spring
5. Cypress Springs
6. Magnolia Springs
7. Vortex Springs
8. Ponce de Leon Springs
9. Morrison Springs

There's always the option of stopping near Tallahassee, depending on how your getting down there. Near Tallahassee, you've got:

1. Wakulla Springs
2. Wakulla River
3. Wacissa River Springs

I don't know anything about the drive times, or about each particular spring, but this should give you something to work with. Someone who lives in North Florida would probably be a better source of info.

Have fun and dive safe!

Many of the springs that Dr. Jay listed may be off limits to divers (like Wakulla) or not be open water dives (if you aren't cave cert - don't go in).

Thry this site and it will tell you what springs are open, what certs can dive there, and some other info.

http://www.floridacaves.com/

If you are looking for springs near Panama City, Vortex is about an hour north of pc. Morrison springs is just a couple miles south of Vortex

Well, we made the trip to Pc and did a walk in at St. Andrews park...wow...the viz was about 3-4 ft. and the current was incredibly strong...very intimidating...we went to a depth of approx. 30 fsw, and after being banged around on the rocks for about 20 mins. we called it quits... very discouraging, but on the up side, my nephew (big k) found an anchor...we then went to Morrison springs (shut down) 0 viz because of recent rain. continued to Vortex springs and had a blast...great viz and a great dive...I would definetely recommend that anyone going to PC, to talk to someone who knows the area... thanks to all who answered my post.
Bobb

Check the tide tables. I only recommend the jetties at high tide, slack.
Rick

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom