Log Book Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Golfer38

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Being a new diver with about 35 dives, I have always filled out my log book completely after each dive, for the first 20. My first 20 dives have been with a the DM and rented equipment. The DM wore a computer and told me what I need to put in my log book. For xmas, my son and I purchased new equipment, to include a computer (Cobra 3). This past month, we went to the Caymans and dove about 14 times. All the dives were registered on our Cobra 3 and all the DM told us was the dive spot we were at.

So, my log book is not filled out and wondering what the protocol was with a computer. All the dives will be registered on my dive computer and will also be downloaded to my desktop computer and tagged, etc.

Do folks with computers that store data from each dive also keep a log book? Do they fill everything out or just keep a dive count?

Thanks,

Jim

The only comment I can make is that my dive computer decided not to start one day, the software that the DC ran was DOS based, the old laptop it was on finally gave up the ghost, and I lost all my dives done with it..... Things change, technologies change...

Paper and pen seem to hold up a lot longer....

It really depends on what you want to use a logbook for.

Some people are content to write down basic details: date, site, depth, time, air used, wetsuit, weights, tank, what they saw etc.

On the other hand.... a well maintained logbook is a valuable tool not only for you but as a 'proof of experience'. I suggest to my students that they write down things like the conditions they had, any problems encountered, how they dealt with said problems and after consideration what they would do next time, if they saw something that other divers were doing well/badly- basically something that will be used as a valuable tool give the fact that most divers dive fairly irregularly and it is difficult to remember details a year later.

Some of the Japanese logbooks I saw were pretty snazzy- some were drawing descriptions of dive sites and currents, as well as a whole load of cute furry penguins :)

A decent dive center will definitely ask for a log book, I like to look through and see the different areas that divers have been to- I myself have worked a bit in different places around the world and sometimes I have dived the same sites and can ask questions, drawing people in to conversation and learning about them, what they enjoy about diving and what conditions they are prepared for, or prefer to dive in.

Your first 50 dives have a steep learning curve and I recommend that you keep a detailed log which you can refer to before going for your next dive as a tool to prepare yourself or to jog your memory about certain techniques. The AOW course for example is forgotten by many- there is actually a wealth of information that is usually presented- unfortunately most people do their AOW over 2 or 3 days which makes it harder for all the information to sink in.

I agree with the above. What I want to remember about a dive does not show up on a computer. Additionally, I do a lot of dives without a computer. So I keep a paper logbook and write whatever I feel is important about a dive, whatever it is that I might want to know if I look back at it. If I am using a computer, I suppose I could look at what it says, but I pretty much never do.

Agree with previous posts completely. There are no standard protocols (or even a formal requirement to keep one). Even though I may have them in my computer and haven't had it crap out, I still use paper too. It also allows you to record a lot more information that may help you, especially if you dive in a variety of conditions -- what exposure suit, how much weight. I also like to track my air consumption and try to correlate that to different dive conditions. As said above, there are a lot of dive ops that will want something to prove your level of experience and that's also a really good reason to keep a hard record that is more durable than a bunch of electrons.

When I returned to active diving a little over a year ago I reviewed my logbooks. It was a very pleasant trip down memory lane. Wish I had put more into the log (or even done real logging) for the first 15 years of diving.

I had plenty of 'fully' logged dives to enroll/complete Divemaster, but it was the comments that meant the most to me. Needless to say my logging is more detailed now. I want to remember this part of my life years from now.

I agree with the others, fill out your logbook, it will come in handy. For example, I've used mine several times prior to trips to see which wetsuit to take. I just looked at the water temps for prior dives and the wetsuit I used and determined my comfort range.

I don't log dives most of the time. I'm thinking about getting another log and start but I haven't as of now. I really don't see a reason.

I have logged every dive I have ever been on that was in a lake or the ocean. Pool dives don't get logged because they are not dives in my book. I log the date, location, dive site name, time in time out, air consumption, gear used and worn, weight used, and water and air temperature. I note if it is a boat dive or shore dive, and I note any current or surge or surf issues.I even note my weight, which can vary enough from from time to time t affect the weight I will use for diving. I note who I dove with, and I write down what we did and saw. I have never regretted doing this, and I intend to continue to do it. From my dive log I have created a weighting chart for various locations, gear worn, exposure suit worn, and my weight. If I am diving in a fresh water lake here in Colorado in a semi0dry suit with a hood and gloves, with an 80 AL tank, I know what weight to use. i can look it up. I can do the same for a 3 mil no hood, different bc set up I use in Mexico. It's a valuable resource. I also note if I was cold on a dive, especially the 2nd 3rd or 4th dive of the day, so I'll know to "dress warmer" next time. In between dive4 trips, I tally total underwater time and average time per dive. I keep a summary sheet of number of dives to different depth ranges (under 30, 30-39, 40-49, on up to 130 + ) I note number of dives at different destinations, and other nerdy stats because I like to review and read my log book. I put alot in it. It's also full of stamps and diver contact information and stuff. I have my own stamp to mark other diver's' logs if they want. All of those things are for my personal use. I also use my log to show dive operators where I last dove, and the extent of my experience, life long as well as recently so there is no hassle over doing any given dive. Digital downloads or not, I log my dives with a pen and log sheets, and I log them every day. I get basic data off my computer, and fill in the rest while I still remember it. I encourage you to keep a log book, fill it with useful as well as fun stuff. Your will be glad you did.
DivemasterDennis

It's a matter of choice. I use a small notebook for my logbook. I log time and date of the dive, bottom time, depth, water temp. If I change wetsuits I'll note that. I also note the dive site name, any conditions such as surge, currents. I log what interesting fish or sea life I saw. I also make notes about other divers who amuse me.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom