Log Book question: probably the 100th time on this board

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive with a mosquito. The profile it keeps of every dive is pretty awesome. Get the PC interface and you get some pretty good, and effective history. Its effortless. Just wear the darned thing and plug it into your computer when you get home. :lam:

Seeing if you can fine tune your manual tables is pretty good practice too.

Came across another angle on this in another thread: When calling on DAN, someone was advised to bring their log to the doctor. Computer will do in many cases, but sometimes you can't beat the ease of access of paper (what if your doc can't deal with computer? He can read the log over the phone to a DAN person ...).

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?p=959025#post959025

I logged when I was first certified a year and a half ago, then I stopped for a few months because I thought it was a hassle. I use a computer which has bare-bones info on dives, but I never put the info on paper since I couldn't remember site-info. I log everything now, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem like a hassle - I enjoy it. I've also been finding more and more info that I could add to my logs to help plan for future dives.

I used to be pretty lax about logging my dives; strictly spiral notebook. Then I got my first computer and discovered it would do all the work with very little effort from me. Now I log every dive (or rather, the computer does it for me).

I'm a newby and log every dive. Maybe not as soon as I finish the dive, but soon after. My purpose in loging is to monitor my progress. I like to log things like mistakes I made, lessons learned, ideas of how not to repeat mistakes. My dive program on the computer does SAC, so I also like to keep up with start and ending pressures. Looking at computer, I can see that my SAC had come way down since first dive.

I long every dive and love it. I could care less whether I am ever asked for it. It is fun to look back and remember fun dives and people you dove with or if you want to revisit sites. “Was that lava tube on Kona or Kauai?” My logs have in and out pressures, weights, suit, people I dove with, max bottom time, anything cool or unusual I did or saw, things I did right or things that didn’t work, and a very detailed map of the dive trail. I’ve only dove around 100 dives. If I was pushing 1000 this might change, but I doubt it.

Log all quality dives. Don't log some quicky equipment check dives. Use a computer download for dive data in a log book. I find the written log invaluable for keeping track of suit and weight configuration for different dive sites. Also, I like to keep track of wildlife, entry points, nav data, etc.

I am new and will be log'n every dive.... I want to be able to look back in 10 years and see all my fun that diving has let me have... And who knows I might want to be a DM someday!

I have been diving for over 19 years and have logged a lot of my dives. I regret that I went 5 or 6 years not logging cause all of that is now lost. I often look back over old logs and can see how equipment, mindset, or just me has changed and that is a nice thing to have. Log em all and keep up with it you will be happy you did down the road.

Bobby

If it wasn't for downloadable computers I have have a hard time logging most of my recreational dives. Get a downloadable computer and 'logbook' that you can at least plug in exposure suit and weight information into.

Until you get your SAC, exposure suit, and weight down to a science try to record this info. You don't want to kill the first dive of every trip trying to figure out where you left off from the last trip.

My last trip to Bonaire a buddy introduced me to the no writing required logbook. Before each shore dive you snap a shot of the yellow rock by the dive site. When you go to download your digital camera you know exactly what you saw at each site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom