logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Promptly filling out your dive log is a good habit. I started diving in the mid-1970s but I was pretty spotty about making log entries. I was young and lacked a critical motivator, when it came to optional paperwork. After a 23 year surface interval, I am back in the sport. Now, I dive with my young son and setting a good example is important to me. Training him to act responsibly, observe the proper protocols, record the experiences and learn from any mistakes is the critical motivator. We learn best what we have to teach. Setting a good example and broadening the overall dive experience has made a difference. I think it will help make us better and safer divers, as we pursue a divemaster goal.

BTW - a logged dive need not be signed nor stamped by a buddy, guide, dive master or instructor bar for courses generally. Most people do have them signed, but it is not mandatory.

A log is YOUR record of experience that you can use to show others and that you can record items that are important to you (some excellent examples here). Some of these experiences may be required for certain courses, others may show your potential buddy or instructor what you have done so the dive plan or course can reflect your experiences.

At a minimum I'd keep dive #, date, bottom time, depth and location. A computer version is just fine - you needn't write much at all!

Part of the pro gig is setting a good example and being a good role model. One of the thing many agencies push is keeping a log book, so you will need to do this (and know how to do this) with the divers you work with. You will also be required to log all dives from your DM course so you might as well get on with it and go into this new thing with a smile :D

yeah, i forgot to mention:

i'm a 40hrs/week in office guy, and that means lots of time on scubaboard :) ; going through the dive-log in my surface interval time is a good way to think about diving when I cannot do it :D

Let's not forget that you can look back through your logs on a winter evening with a boat drink in your hand and remember the pleasure of the dives. The memories are as important to me as the event itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom