lol, im a little scared

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
I think I have to disagree with everyone who has responded so far. If you're not having fun something is wrong.

If you don't want to dive on your upcomming trip (and you said that you don't) it may be a mistake to do so.
Mike - you didn't disagree with me! (or maybe you did - but I never suggested he should dive in Grand Cayman)

You need to sit back and figure out what it is that is making you so nervous. The posibility exists that you don't enjoy diving and it isn't for you. It is also very possible that you just need more experience in the form of pool time where things are calmer and more controlled. Some people need more time to gain confidence and comfort than the basic course allows.
Do you REALLY want to dive or could you walk away from it and not feel like you are missing anything? I had to ask myself that when I tried skydiving. I made 3 jumps (15 more were needed for my certification) and decided that I had tried it...It was a thrill...But it wasn't for me. I'm still glad I tried it and will never forget those 3 jumps but I really do not miss it. No shame in that. Most people will go their whole life and never even try it.
As for your up comming trip, if you honestly don't feel up to it then do not do it. You can always opt out of that dive and prectice more at home to get more comfortable if you want. You can also take the route of 'tried it..it was a thrill..But it wasn't for me.' I'm 100% positive that nobody here, on the dive boat, your friends or your family would want you to keep diving if it wasn't fun for you.
So, figure out why you aren't having fun and if it is something you can work on, then work on it. If it is just not your thing then walk away with your head held high that you at least tried it and are better for the experience. Either way, be sure you know why you are making the decision you are making.
Joe

Life~Saver:
Ok everyone, im 14 years old....Last August i went to oceans wonders to get a scuba course.I went for a week and was nervous every second except when i was down and settled....

Every time i have to enter the water i get nervous....and when im moving the equitment....and when exiting the water...and when walking with the gear,lol....

Next month im going to the Grand Caimen islands with my aunt and uncle...I really wantto go but i dont want to scuba......Well if i could climbd down a latter into the forumm i would....

So are you nervous when you are actually under the water? Or just when you are waiting to get in?

From what I read, you seem comfortable when you are in the wet stuff, it's just the dry part of scuba that's giving you nerves. In which case, no problem- you've just got stage fright and that will go as you get more experience.

spog

MikeFerrara:
I think I have to disagree with everyone who has responded so far. If you're not having fun something is wrong.

If you don't want to dive on your upcomming trip (and you said that you don't) it may be a mistake to do so.

Mike certainly has much more experience in the water and teaching than I do, so I'd take his advice over mine.

I'm with Mike. There is an old motorcycle saying "If you don't feel like riding -- DON'T" Recreational diving is something you do to enjoy and relax. Maybe back off a while, try snorkelling maybe, you can come back to scuba when you are ready.

Man there is no way I would go to the Caymens in the shape your in. Do you think your Aunt & Uncle would take me in your place.

Just kidding!! Go for it. If you didn't some rush it would not be fun.

Mike

If you don't want to dive because you don't think you will be comfortable underwater than by all means don't. But you said that was the one part of the previous trip that you actually enjoyed. It seems to me that you are embarrased about the surface intervals. Take a look around the boat, I'm sorry but NO ONE looks cool in scuba gear while on the surface. Everyone is waddling around like ducks and it is even worse when they get out of the water. Look around, you will see several people with what I call the "scuba snots", snot running out of their nose. Like I said, no one looks cool on the surface.

If the only thing holding you back is fear of embarassment on the surface I say suck it up and drive on. You will be glad you did. HOWEVER, if what is holding you back is doubt about getting in the water than do NOT go until you feel comfortable. Just my two cents.

penguinbuddy:
Hey, if I can dive in a dry suit in 63 degrees water all of the time, you should be able to come over your nervousness.

Drysuit in 63 degree water? Wow, you have it easy :wink: 63 is about what our AIR temp was this past weekend ... water temp? reverse the 6 and the 3, then add about 3-4 degrees.

But to echo what everyone else has said, Life~Saver, your confidence will increase with each successive dive that you get under your belt. Just don't over-dive your skills/confidence, because that can lead to more serious problems. If you're uncomfortable, call the dive. Don't worry about being young, safety and comfort is crucial.

i'm a newbie too, just got certified a couple of weeks back.....i took the whole o/w course in just 3D2N..... it was :0

i got so nervous dat i keep taking in big breaths, i was running low on gas just 30mins after i got in...... n i still can't catch my buoyancy control yet..... oso i'm v petite n there's no chance of me growing anymore cos i'm in my 20s

but for the 30 mins i was in there....... it was a wonderful experience for me, n i dun think i gonna stop diving.... u shouldn't too!! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom