Long Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RalphinOrmond

Registered
Reaction score
I had been away from snorkeling and freediving for a few years before getting passionate about it again this summer. Of course I bought a bunch of new equipment! However, I had my Mares Quatro Pro's left over from my last burst of enthusiasm. As I poked about on the internet, I got the impression that long fins are "finas non grata" in some circles and so have neither used these long fins, nor considered buying any more. The idea being that they can be harmful to the environment. But then, some of the long fins sound so great! It is hard to imagine the best fins possible being other than long ones. I'd be glad to hear some opinions from anyone but especially from the long term serious and professionals on this subject.

after a long time in the water with long fins.. you won't find them harmful to the environment, probably just the opposite. With very low, rapid amplitude kicks I've scurried across shallows of coral, against current or surges where I'm sure a shorter fin would have had me giving up or needing such a high amplitude kick that there would have been damage. Tight spots.. like turning around in a small cavern or similar are probably the most difficult to manage without scraping something.

I also have a pair of quattro pro's.. very fast fin, and probably the fastest short fin out there, but it lacks efficient power.. where slow, oxygen conserving kicks are required for deeper and longer dives. Also seems to lack when you turn around at the bottom and try to get to the surface.

A tough decision for you will be what long fin to get.. there are big differences in every aspect of them.. cost, footpockets, stiffness, durability, etc.

I use atomic aquatics smoke on the water when I dive seems like some good split fins... they can propel me and all my scuba gear and tanks when I am diving in currents and swells. not sure what they will do for you but they seem like pretty nice fins

Once you use a good long fin, full foot pocket style, you'll know why freedivers don't wear scuba fins.

I use carbon fiber C4 Falcons - 40, in Omer foot pockets.

In fact many of us have been using long fins for scuba for decades too.

A good plastic blade model will do the trick, Cressi-sub, Omer etc.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom