Long Hose/Bungeed Back up/No Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, I used to keep my snorkel just as DevonDiver describes, but I have since gone to a roll-up snorkel that I can clip into a pocket.

I actually changed dive shops and instructors on the occasion of taking Rescue. I am sure that the place that I had been would have allowed my rig, but I wanted to take Rescue from someone who had dove my rig.

I would talk to the instructors in the area and let their responses help you choose who to take Rescue with. From my experience, it doesn't make any difference for AOW, except if the instructor is actively negative on the equipment that you have.

The first and only setup that I have is bpw and long hose with bungeed backup. I do find that I get some negative reactions with it, especially from inexperienced instructors and divemasters that have no experience with it. Any course will be more fun with an instructor who understands and respects your gear.

Thanks to everyone for the great information. I will definitely talk to my instructor to hear their thoughts on my rig before the class. I currently dive a BP/W and used one for my open water class. The instructor was totally fine with it, he actually thanked me, since he could use me as an example to show the other students who were wearing jacket BCs.

I am unclear if a snorkel is Dir, maybe if it's pink? Snorkels are a good idea in some environments. Any time you have the possibility of sitting on the surface in poor conditions a snorkel can help with the nonessentials, like Breathing! I generally carry a snorkel in a pocket when ocean diving.

There are several issues here:

1. Long hose. This should not be a problem, though some instructors still insist on donation of the secondary.
2. Necklace secondary. This can be a problem with skills like equipment doff and dons and exchanges. There are some instructors that have a problem with the idea of securing anything "solid" around your neck, so make sure the necklace is "break-away."
3. Snorkel. Agency standards require that the students be "equipped" with a snorkel. Reading that as "in you gear bag" or "in your pocket" is, I fell, also an issue. "Equipped" (to me) means on your mask strap. That said, most of the concern over wearing a snorkel comes from three things: 1) Potential entanglement. 2) Fouling on the long hose during deployment, and 3) Not being of any use. If a snorkel is worn (positioned) properly, items 1 and 2 are, with a small amount of care, not an issue. As to 3) that depends on how you dive. Old school says, "never waste air on things like surface swims or kelp crawls," new school says, "buy a bigger tank." I guess it depends on where you are coming from.
4. An issue you did not raise is clipping off your SPG. Some instructors feel that the entanglement potential of any "hard loop" that ou create is a safety issue, so the teach putting your SPG under your tank in the small of your back (where it will usually stay).
5. Last but not least, is the question of a crotch strap and putting your weightbelt on before you buckle your BP/W straps. I feel that your weightbelt should go on last so that it can be ditched, there is some controversy on this topic.

It's interesting that you mentioned clipping off the SPG. My OW instructor insisted that we clip it off to prevent it from floating all over the place and hitting the bottom, getting tangled, etc. So I've always clipped mine off.

For weighting, I have ditchable pockets attached to my harness, so the over the crotchstrap, under the crotchstrap, debate has been a non issue.

JPO

Gwen I took my Rescue Diver class one of the DM's was not thrilled at all with my long hose, said she thought it was an entanglement hazard being behind my head.

Later when there were some deployment issues from hanging up on the snorkel she seemed to prove her point.

But then she had her secondary clipped to her right waist.

I've never seen or heard of an instructor in our area objecting to having something clipped off, or wanting a student to put their gauge under their tank.

Thal, I know you like snorkels and don't think they interfere with long hoses, but honestly, since the device is NOT useful underwater, what is the point of having it at the ready for an hour when it is not useful? It is used at the surface, and as long as you have it handy to use on the surface, I would think that ought to be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom