Long Hose/Bungeed Back up/No Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, so far, I haven't been anywhere where you couldn't find a path through the kelp on the surface, and I've never come CLOSE to not having enough gas to get back, even if I surfaced a long way from the boat and had to resubmerge and swim under the canopy. If I dove places where I was likely to encounter a kelp mass so thick I couldn't get around it, I might be even a bit more conservative on my gas planning. There are a lot of reasons why one might want to reserve more gas than the minimum to reach the surface.

And remember, I'm not knocking having a snorkel. I'm just arguing that, since it doesn't need to be deployed in a screaming hurry, it can be carried somewhere where it takes a little time to get it out and ready for use.

And remember, I'm not knocking having a snorkel. I'm just arguing that, since it doesn't need to be deployed in a screaming hurry, it can be carried somewhere where it takes a little time to get it out and ready for use.
I know that you're an inveterate gas planner so I thought I'd throw you a sinker. As far as the snorkel is concerned, I might agree with you if I ever found a way to carry one that I was willing to use and to securely mount and dismount it. Another plus point for a snorkel is the almost routine glottal control that routine use trains into the diver. While not a primary point, it sure comes in handy when something like a regulator diaphragm failure or mouthpiece pulling off forces you to deal with that problem of suddenly having a mouth full of water instead of air.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom