longer alternate air hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you are using the Octo-Z and have a 24" hose on your primary reg, that isn't a real good configuration.

Well that was the original set up I had. As I said I have since added a traditional octo like we use in class. This is where the questions come in as I know many people now utilize the longer hose. My whole question was simply how they do this when they do. Its not that I am adding anything really for the gear exchange but instead it opened my eyes to a whole new set of possibilities. I am constantly learning and have literaly stacks of dive logs so its not an unexperienced issue. It was just that it came up and made me look at a whole new level of possibilities that could go wrong.

Standard octos vary in hose length by mfg. Most are between 36 and 40 inches. A 36 works well enough on a conventional set up IF the first stage has ports only out the sides. They do not seem to "billow out" in a big loop from the diver. Once you start getting into 40 inch lengths and above things get a little different.

Depends on diver build as well. Someone who is thin as a rail up to "average" may find a 36 is ideal. But if you are a big person it may not be near enough. I know one instructor that is about 6'8" and over 300 lbs. Not fat. Just BIG and a 36 inch hose gets a bit more than half way around him. A 40 is the minimum he can use and is easy to find in the "golden triangle" as it's called when he brings the octo under the right arm.

I am setting up a HOG reg for customer who wanted to go with a more traditional set up. So what I'm doing is bringing the primary off the side as usual and running a 40 inch hose out of the bottom port. This will allow the hose to follow the divers body right down the side and even with the Edgeflex hoses he wants not result in them flapping. And no 90 degree adapter is required.

What kind of reg are you using? As this may be an option for you if it has a bottom port. I also agree that you should not change your configuration to make the gear exchange easier. The point of the exercise is thinking and problem solving while task loaded. Best to do in the gear you use and figure out the best way with it.

This is good, you should seek out instruction and from a caver... sounds like you are realizing your recreational setup has its limitations. You will be taking off your octo-z and buying new gear in no time.

Ah, okay; you're thinking about changing out your primary reg setup, then? As I said, there are four major options. 36", which routes just like your 24" hose but makes a big loop; 40, which can be routed under the right arm, but requires a right angle adapter, and the wrapped 5' or 7' hose. Any of these setups would permit you to retain the Octo-Z, if you like it, and still have enough hose length to share gas comfortably.

BTW, don't discount the gear swap exercise -- I darned near drowned myself doing it!

BTW, don't discount the gear swap exercise -- I darned near drowned myself doing it!

See why I am re-evaluating the situation :) sure we hope that we never get put in that situation but the whole purpose of any role play is to open the eyes to the potential for problems and how to manage them when they do. It just made me more aware that the standard configurations are perfect in an ideal situation however being in law enforcement I know all to well that nothing is ever ideal. I like the idea of of a 5 to 7 foot hose. Can anyone post any photos of these for ideals?

diverfront.jpg

LongShortPic1.jpg

Do those help?

I've been diving a 7' hose for years and am seriously thinking of going back to a standard setup. It might be easier for someone who shares air often like a DM or instructor, but its just more hose for me. I have never had to share air with anyone.

As a DM your kit should closely resemble the common student setup. If an Octo inflator is the common student setup that's what you should use. I does not help a new student if they can not identify what you are using.

Have you tried your alternate on the left hand side? It presents better, especially to the "other" diver. Works well side by side swimming or face to face. It's a common European method and how my PDIC instructor professed.

Pete

I can't say re-stowing has ever been a problem with or without help. Here is a helpful illustration of a re-stow: Safety Drill (S-Drill) - Scuba - YouTube If you have things slipping all around fouling you gear maybe your kit is not optimized.

You are confusing modern methodology with the older form of stuffing a long hose ie. bungied to the side of the tank. I don't have a problem as I "hog loop" but the older method did have problems that led to the modern form that you are familiar with.

As a DM your kit should closely resemble the common student setup. If an Octo inflator is the common student setup that's what you should use. I does not help a new student if they can not identify what you are using.

Our students in the pool are using shop gear, but most of them will buy something else. We try to have various gear configurations present in the pool, including standard, octo-inflators, and longer primary/bungied backup, so that students see various setups and learn that their instabuddy somewhere may not be configured the way they are used to.

In open water, we dive our own gear, and it has never been a problem. In fact, most students don't even notice that what we dove was different from what they have. I know, because Peter has taken to polling the class during the classroom session after the first set of OW dives. The only people who notice what is different are the ones who are recertifying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom