Short hose for necklaced alt second?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMyMyOHellYes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Gonna give this a try with the 7' wrap-around primary (will be required for an anticipated tec class and I'd like to get used to the config before the class in 6 mos.)

What are some of the common hose lengths for an alternate air source second carried on a bungee necklace? Hoses are easy to change if desired, but I gotta start somewhere.

With primary coming in from right I assume that the alt second is also coming under the right arm... ? If on twins I assume it will eventually need to be a couple inches longer, unless twin routing off of the left side would get routed under left arm, but that would require more as it would have to loop under and back unless the regs reverse (I think the Apeks XL4 I anticipate using reverse?)

22-24 in. is the standard hose length for the necklaced secondary. It won't come under the right arm; only the long hose will as it goes under and then wraps around the neck. Here is an example from FKD that shows how it is configured.

Edit: this is assuming you are trying this configuration on a single tank before switching to twins. It's roughly the same, but of course with twins you will have two first stages and the primary and secondary regulators will feed off different first stages.

1690293249609.png

22" is plenty for a single tank, goes over the shoulder. I like this routing with 5th port regs:
image.png

This is a good application for the more flexible braided hoses.

22" is plenty for a single tank, goes over the shoulder. I like this routing with 5th port regs:
View attachment 794127
This is what I do. 22" works great, but from 5th port on bottom with reg angled that way.

I would think 22" would be fine for single tanks too... should put it slightly closer

22-24 in. is the standard hose length for the necklaced secondary. It won't come under the right arm; only the long hose will as it goes under and then wraps around the neck. Here is an example from FKD that shows how it is configured.

Edit: this is assuming you are trying this configuration on a single tank before switching to twins. It's roughly the same, but of course with twins you will have two first stages and the primary and secondary regulators will feed off different first stages.

View attachment 794125
Stupid question - but are they normally color coded?

And yes, I anticipate my next 50 - 70 dives (at least) will be single tank before jumping into the tec course with doubles. But if this works as well as everybody says, if I do it now rather than waiting on the class, it's one less thing to unwind.

And yes, I anticipate my next 50 - 70 dives (at least) will be single tank before jumping into the tec course with doubles. But if this works as well as everybody says, if I do it now rather than waiting on the class, it's one less thing to unwind.
No to color. Color shouldn't matter and is undependable at depth with the shift.

I would say get ~ 10 or so dives with any one setup, then add something to it. Say drysuit for 10 and then when comfortable add the doubles. The more experience you have with anything going into a tech type class the more you can focus on other things.

Obviously move at your own pace.. some people prefer to have an instructor show them everything and that's ok too (like ITT class)

No not generally color coded - pulled the image from an article which did that for presentation purposes.

I use a 24"....started with a 22" but didnt care for how it was as on me it was just a bit short. 24" works perfect for me

This is a good application for the more flexible braided hoses.
Might consider that the flexible braided hoses often are a) more floaty, so a pain on long hoses, b) the braids catches on the small hairs in your neck, and c) the braids eats on hoods. But, some like them. Personally... I prefer rubber hoses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom