Longer, Open Heel Fins With Speed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been using a pair of Mares Plana Avanti open-heel fins that I bought used. They came with a pair of boots and the guy I bought them from wore the same size shoes that I do, so it didn't occur to me to check the size. I have since come to the conclusion that they are one size too small, which may be contributing to the heel straps coming off and a feeling of excessive play in the pocket.

I have a pair of Tusa Sola full-foot fins that I like much better. They are sized to fit me perfectly without socks, so unfortunately there's no way I can make them work for cold water dives. They are a little longer and stiffer than the Mares fins and considerably faster.

I would like my fins to be fast because I'm planning shore dives where I may end up swimming a moderate distance to reach a point of interest. I've tried tech-type fins (Scubapro Jetfins) and don't get the speed from them that I want.

As much as I would like to try freediving fins, I've reached the conclusion that I really do need open heel fins for cold water shore diving around here, because if I try socks and full-foot fins I'll end up tearing up the socks on the rocks.

I'm finding it difficult to wade through all the marketing-speak to find fins that I like.

Just by digging through some of the usual online stores, I've come across the Cressi Reaction fins, which seem an ideal size, and are available with a catchless bungee strap that I like.

Advice welcome.

The fastest open heel fins I have tried are the Hollis F-1's. They move a lot of water. Any longer blade fin will. Your legs'll pay for it though at some point unless you're a long distance runner or something along those lines.

Fast however is not my preferred method of diving either under or on top of the water. If I need to swim a distance on the surface I plan to get in the water or arrive on site sooner.

Long surface swims to the drop usually mean long swims back. Not something I want to do with a significant nitrogen load.

The other consideration is that unless you are diving solo your buddy may very well limit your pace to the descent. As they should. Scuba is not about speed. If you need to get somewhere fast use a boat or scooter.

I own two sets of F-1's and a pair of the old Aqualung Blades. Another fin I can generate some speed with. 90% of the time though I use my HOG tech fins. Short, not very fast, but all kinds of control in tight spaces.

cressi ara ebs. HB for bonus points.

PS. although reading up on reaction, it sounds like it might be a better deal overall especially if you you want them a bit heavier. ARAs felt pretty light to me when I tried them.

Last edited:
Take a look at the AquaLung Express fin. They come in both open heel and full foot. They are a wide blade fin, but in my opinion fast and easy to kick while providing power when power is needed. Fins come with an excellent rubber strap, but can be fitted with spring straps. I'm on my second set and use them when I'm working as dive master/rescue diver, when speed is necessary to get to a diver with problems or an actual rescue.

The fastest open heel fins I have tried are the Hollis F-1's. They move a lot of water. Any longer blade fin will. Your legs'll pay for it though at some point unless you're a long distance runner or something along those lines.

Fast however is not my preferred method of diving either under or on top of the water. If I need to swim a distance on the surface I plan to get in the water or arrive on site sooner.

Long surface swims to the drop usually mean long swims back. Not something I want to do with a significant nitrogen load.

The other consideration is that unless you are diving solo your buddy may very well limit your pace to the descent. As they should. Scuba is not about speed. If you need to get somewhere fast use a boat or scooter.

My experience with scuba and snorkeling alike is that that better fins provide both speed and the ability to cover long distances with minimum effort.

The truly local diving here is in bodies of water that many people would characterize as mud puddles. There is no established industry of dive charters on these lakes and rivers, indeed, most of them don't have marinas. I do not have a trailerable boat nor do I particularly want to get one, so my access is limited to shore dives and whatever I can get to safely with a canoe. The best diving is typically in 20' of water or less, so nitrogen loading isn't a major concern. The water is cold, in some places there's a current, and so a somewhat more athletic approach to scuba makes sense.

Viz isn't great but with the right attitude I can have a good time and see an ecosystem firsthand that fewer people have experienced than coral reefs.

The ocean is 2000 miles away and when I'm in it I go slow.

I own two sets of F-1's and a pair of the old Aqualung Blades. Another fin I can generate some speed with. 90% of the time though I use my HOG tech fins. Short, not very fast, but all kinds of control in tight spaces.

Some day I'll get tech fins when I'm ready for wrecks.

cressi ara ebs. HB for bonus points.

PS. although reading up on reaction, it sounds like it might be a better deal overall especially if you you want them a bit heavier. ARAs felt pretty light to me when I tried them.

I ended up with Cress Reaction fins and was out diving them yesterday and today.

I'm well pleased. They are longer than most fins but not as long as freediving fins, and are wide and stiff, and I can cover distance. I very much like the bungee heel strap because it lacks buckles. One less thing to fail, adjust, and catch line. Thanks for all the replies.

I have Hollis F-1, Atomic Blade, and Mako freediving fins.

The freediving fins obviously are the fastest, but not good for you.

To me, the Atomic Blades work noticeably better than the F-1s for pretty much everything. I only use the F-1s for diving in my dry suit, where I need a bigger size and a more negative fin.

Best scuba fin for you: Cressi Master Frog. They discontinued them but you can still find them around. Big blade made from their freedive fin materials, but shortened and widened for scuba. Huge power, great for all kicks. Great for long surface swims.

If you can't find the Master Frogs, the replacement model is called the Cressi Ara. Look into those, and in particular the stiff blade version.

Best scuba fin for you: Cressi Master Frog. They discontinued them but you can still find them around. Big blade made from their freedive fin materials, but shortened and widened for scuba. Huge power, great for all kicks. Great for long surface swims.

If you can't find the Master Frogs, the replacement model is called the Cressi Ara. Look into those, and in particular the stiff blade version.

This is the fin I plan to try out next. I plan to get my wife and son a pair of the softer versions.

This is the fin I plan to try out next. I plan to get my wife and son a pair of the softer versions.

My wife did a few laps in the pool and said it's too much fin for her, had to return it. :( On the plus side it got her doing laps in swim fins: in those few laps she felt every muscle that needs conditioning for fin swimming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom