Looe Key Dive Shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tig

Reaction score
We are hoping to make a trip to the keys next week. Hoping to dive Looe Key and then head back up to Key Largo. I have heard Looe Key is really a nice dive and need some recomendation for operators there. Also I read that it can be very crowded. Is it worth going there or just stay in Key Largo. We have dove with Silent World before and were pleased but I see Rick and Janet no longer own it. Has anybody been out with them in the last month. I hope they haven't changed.

Any information will be appreciated on Looe Key dive operators and places to stay. I am wondering if it may be better to stay in Marathon.

Thanks for your help

Ric and Janet are doing well in Colorado and the new owners of Silent World, Chris and Alison are fitting in nicely!!

The core staff, Capt Bob, Capt AJ and myself (Pat) are still with Silent World, so the personality of the crews and boats hasn't changed at all!

Hope to see you soon.

Pat

KeyLargoBrent:
Try Rachel at www.WreckreationCharters.com. She's a ScubaBoard member who runs a six passenger boat out to Looe Key and the Adolphus Busch from ~mile marker 25.

I'd second Brent's recommendation for Rachel. We dove the Busch and Looe Key with her in Mid-May, and thought that she was quite nice.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone!

I'd be more than happy to take you diving. Check out my website and call with any questions.

I haven't dove with Silent World with the new owners so I can't comment there, but KeyLargoBrent (see above) runs a great op up in Key Largo.

Rachel

With no disrespect to Rachel, we used Underseas Inc.

http://www.flkeysdiveshops.com/lkdiveshops/diveshops_info.cfm?shopID=87

My bike group was there in mid May. They took us out to Looe Key for a 2 tank dive. We had 3 divers and 12 snorkelers. They treated us very well. Vis was 40+ feet and seas calm. Price for our group was $22.50 per snorkeler, and $30.00 per diver.

Not sure if they are still there but Looe Key Reef Dive Center runs a pretty good trip,
they are on ramrod key. Lodging is more reasonable and available down that way. If your not looking for anything fancy for lodging you might check out the Big Pine Lodge, they have a little breakfast joint right out front (the cracked egg) that makes breakfast before starting your day quite convenient.

Looe Key Dive Center is not the same as it used to be. New owners, change of staff, etc.

R

Thanks for all the help. For those who have been to Key Largo and Looe Key, is Looe Key different from the reefs at Key Largo?

Thanks again,
Tig

Hi there Tig..
I would Highly recommend Rachel with Wreckreation!
just got back back from diving with her at Looe key.
Outstanding service + great dives.

On your question about Key Largo reefs and Looe Key Reefs..........
Looe Key is a National Marine Sanctuary.
The Lower Keys are the least developed of the Florida Keys and in many ways the most natural. Looe key Ref is just 5.3 sq. nautical miles, yet within this small area is a tremendous variety of both coral structure and marine life. long been recognized as one of the special jewels of the Florida Keys's reef tract, the coral reef of Looe Key was afforded special protection in 1981 when it was designated a national Marine Sanctuary.

Cheers,Rascal

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom