lookig for cabo dive operator recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We'll be staying at the "Fiesta Marina" and plan to do quite a bit of diving.

Underwater Diversions seems to be on the opposite side of the Marina from Fiesta Marina (where we're staying).

Is it easy to walk around the Marina, or should I look into a dive shop closer to my location?

Does Underwater Diversion allow you to store your gear at their shop if you're doing multiple days of diving?

All three dive shops mentioned sound fine. I'm leaning toward Underwater Diversions, but they seem to be the furthest from where we're staying.

EricJ:
We'll be staying at the "Fiesta Marina" and plan to do quite a bit of diving.

Underwater Diversions seems to be on the opposite side of the Marina from Fiesta Marina (where we're staying).

Is it easy to walk around the Marina, or should I look into a dive shop closer to my location?

Does Underwater Diversion allow you to store your gear at their shop if you're doing multiple days of diving?

All three dive shops mentioned sound fine. I'm leaning toward Underwater Diversions, but they seem to be the furthest from where we're staying.

The Cabo Fiesta Marina is what used to be the Plaza Las Glorias. Most of the dive ops in Cabo operate out of the marina. There are a couple of ops on Medano beach (Cabo Acuadeportes among others) where you might need to walk a few hundred yards to get there.

It's maybe 10 minutes by foot from one end of the Marina to the other. (counting dodging wayward iguanas on people's shoulders and strolling timeshare salesfolks :D )

Amigos Del Mar's shop is across from the new Dolphin show stadium, also a couple of hundred yards counterclockwise from the main marina area.

Pretty much all the shops will let you hang your wetsuit & stuff if you want. Land's End did for us last summer.

Have a great time!

I'm staying at the Fiesta Marina, and it seems that Blue Adventures is in the same area.

Underwater Diversions is on the opposite side of the Marina at what used to be Plaza las Glorias. Plaza las Glorias does have a new name, but that isn't where I'm staying. Their new name is something like Marina Real, and I'll be at the Fiesta Marina.

Blue Adventures seems to charge a little bit more than Underwater Diversions, yet people seem to have had good experiences at both shops.

Is it worth walking across the marina to save some $$? Is there a reason Blue Adventures charges more? I'm willing to pay more for better service, but I'm also willing to lug my stuff across the marina for a better price if it's not too far.

When you are comparing prices, I would look at the prices for some of the dives that are farther away as well. The dives that are right out of the Marina like Land's End and Neptune's Finger are all good dives but don't offer much variety. I was there for a week and was glad to head out to Cabo Pulmo after 3 days of diving the Marina.

Thanks for the info. The pricing of the two shops are more similar when I consider the sites they visit. I'm seriously considering Blue Adventures, although my trip isn't for a while. Thanks again!

Not quite sure when you're going, but:

(1) You can save some $ off of listed prices by telling the shop you'll dive with them for "n" dives in "m" days, and ask if they'll give you a discount, and
(2) Ask if the shop will give you another discount for paying cash rather than plastic. Many shops will offer up to 10% for the convenience of not having to pay the bank fees for plastic.

Unless you're planning to visit Cabo during, say, spring break week(s), I would not bother arranging dives in advance. Just show up, walk down the marina, walk into the shops, ask about their boats, their trips, ask to see their rental equipment, etc. As the other posters suggested, ask if they'll arrange to take you (or have someone take you) to Cabo Pulmo one day; a night dive (next on my list for next year in CSL); a trip to Gordo Banks; etc. Shop around & make your best deal, factored with your sense of the place.

Every shop in Cabo knows everybody else. When I got certified two trips ago, my instructor was swapping equipment with another shop. Last trip, I used another shop. Again, this shop was swapping tanks, weights, wetsuits, etc. (one customer wanted a particular color rental wetsuit, go figure :). If shop "A" doesn't do night dives, but you ask them, they'll either book for you with shop "B", or tell you to go to shop "B." Ditto Gordo Banks & Cabo Pulmo trips. (When I asked about Cabo Pulmo, the guy at the shop said it would be cheaper if I drove myself, since I had a rental car. He'd be equally happy if I paid him to take me in their van, or if I drove myself...)

Everyone is really friendly. (Even if you tell them you don't want to buy their timeshare :) (Except, I suppose, for the imported timeshare high pressure sales closers :)

Have a great time!

p.s. Oops, my bad regarding Fiesta Real/Marina Fiesta; I got confused. Still, walking from one end of the Marina to the other is 10 minutes while dodging salesmen!

Thanks, hdtran and everyone else who shared their experiences. I'm probably going to make reservations for the first couple of days at least. I can then see how the diving is and go from there.

I've had plenty of experience with those timeshare salesemen, and there isn't much that works. I told one guy in Puerto Vallarta that my plane was leaving in an hour on three separate days. Mostly I just ignore them, or I'll agree with them that, "Yeah, I am very stupid for passing up your deal of a lifetime."

As for the divemasters, I usually have GREAT experiences with them in Mexico. It sounds like Cabo is going to be a nice experience.

Just finished a 4 month cruise ship contract on the MX riviera.

Underwater Diversions is excellent. They were very acommodating and their gear was just fine. If you tell them you will be doing multiple dives in advance they will work with you and I'm sure they could give you a nice discount. They worked with multiple dives for the crew of the ship we were on and their DM's were excellent. Also, if you are lucky enough to get Jordan as your DM, she is hot hot hot, as well as a very nice person and an excellent DM :)

Happy Diving.

BTW, don't worry too much about the timeshare people, just say no and keep walking like a local. if that doesn't work "no me molestas!" does wonders so long as you are big in stature :) I just havent figured out how to get the kids with the ocarinas to leave me alone though.

My husband and I dove with both Blue Adventures and Underwater Diversions. Underwater diversions has two boats we dove on the bigger one which made it much more comfortable. Underwater diversions is definately the better price and Jordan, Gary, and Heraldo are all great--Gary used to work for Blue Adventures when we dove with them--we followed the dive master/instructor because to me that is what makes the dive. UD will let you store your gear at the shop. On our recent dives we saw a white tipped reef shark and a few lobsters and dove with the sea lions. It is probably a ten minute walk from Marina Fiesta to UD. Blue Adventures is just across the street. Weigh the pros and cons because both are good.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom