Looking for a Dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crpntr133:
Suunto can't be beat in my book. If budget is low then Aeris has their Atmos 1 for $168. Scubatoys and diversdiscount both have it for that price, others may too. I am thinking of buying one myself as a back up.
Another good thing with the Aeris is that you can trade it in on another Aeris comp later.

Yes, the Aeris is a good unit, and if you want to follow DandyDon's advice, the Aeris Atmos 2 is only $100 more, and gives you nitrox capability along with backlight, download option, and audibles.

I use the Sherwood Wisdom and think it's a great air intigrated air/nitrox computer. It is kind of pricey though at about $800. I don't know if the offer is still good but Sherwood was offering $300 off of the price if you trade in an old computer. I bought an old Oceanic Prodigy on ebay for $80 and turned it in to Sherwood for the $300 credit :wink: When I bought mine it came with the optional quick disconnect hose and compass attachment plus a screen protector. It might be a little less expensive w/o the extras.

Some I have had experience with ...

Suunto Favor - my first computer. PRO - easy to use, easy to understand, inexpensive. CON - doesn't do nitrox, battery not user-replaceable (expensive to replace)

Oceanic Versa Pro - I owned two of these, both experienced failures. The first one failed to shut off after a dive, telling me I was at 7 fsw while I was driving on I-5 after the dive. By the time I got it back to the LDS it told me I was several hours into deco. The second one failed recently, at a dive park that max'es at 40 fsw. During the dive it read that I was at 161 fsw, and then went into permanent failure mode. It's still sitting at home, useless and broken. I won't own another Oceanic computer. This type of failure is simply unacceptable.

Aeris Atmos II - another Pelagic made product, very similar to the Versa Pro. One of my regular dive buddies has gone through eight of these over a period of about a year. On a recent dive our depths and times were so far apart from each other you wouldn't even think we were on the same dive ... by the end of the dive her computer showed 24 minutes more than mine, even though we descended and ascended together. I know a few divers who own these ... and to a person they are so untrustworthy that they all carry backup computers.

Dacor Darwin - ironically, the backup computer of choice for the majority of the Aeris Atmos II owners. Relatively inexpensive, user-replaceable battery, and simple to use.

Suunto Vytec - the computer I purchased to replace my Oceanic Versa Pro. I've only used it for a half-dozen dives, and I'm still figuring out how to use it. The first dive, it failed to come on when I decended ... and I was with students, which is worrisome for someone who doesn't have backup instruments. About 2 minutes into the dive, the computer went into dive mode ... but it ended the dive while we were at about 12 fsw, which is also worrisome. It turns out this was due to a weak battery (in a brand new computer). Once I changed the battery it performed fine. One thing I do not like about this computer is that the manual is just awful ... you have to read each section several times to figure it out, and it's more a list of user features than a document that explains how to actually do stuff with the computer. If you're a geek, this is the computer for you ... it'll probably tell you what you had for breakfast if you can figure out how to select the proper menu. But you won't even learn how to access your log by reading the manual.

You should ask OE2X about the Uwatec Aladin ... he's not terribly happy with the one he owns.

Some general comments ... If you're looking for a computer with a very conservative algorithm, look at Suunto or Uwatec. If you're looking for a less-conservative computer (i.e. more allowable bottom time before telling you you're approaching deco limits), look at the Pelagics (Aeris or Oceanic).

Whatever you do, make sure you buy your computer from an authorized dealer and fill out the warranty card.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have the Scubapro UWATEC Smart Com. It is awesome and does more than I can figure out. It tracks everything automatically.

I kinda hate to spam your thread, but I just decided to get rid of my computer (to replace it with a bottom timer). It's a very user friendly, easy to read, big display wrist mount nitrox computer. You can even replace the batteries yourself. PM me if you're interested, or just check out the Gear Exchange forum :)

NWGratefulDiver:
Some I have had experience with ...

Suunto Favor - my first computer. PRO - easy to use, easy to understand, inexpensive. CON - doesn't do nitrox, battery not user-replaceable (expensive to replace)

Oceanic Versa Pro - I owned two of these, both experienced failures. The first one failed to shut off after a dive, telling me I was at 7 fsw while I was driving on I-5 after the dive. By the time I got it back to the LDS it told me I was several hours into deco. The second one failed recently, at a dive park that max'es at 40 fsw. During the dive it read that I was at 161 fsw, and then went into permanent failure mode. It's still sitting at home, useless and broken. I won't own another Oceanic computer. This type of failure is simply unacceptable.

Aeris Atmos II - another Pelagic made product, very similar to the Versa Pro. One of my regular dive buddies has gone through eight of these over a period of about a year. On a recent dive our depths and times were so far apart from each other you wouldn't even think we were on the same dive ... by the end of the dive her computer showed 24 minutes more than mine, even though we descended and ascended together. I know a few divers who own these ... and to a person they are so untrustworthy that they all carry backup computers.

Dacor Darwin - ironically, the backup computer of choice for the majority of the Aeris Atmos II owners. Relatively inexpensive, user-replaceable battery, and simple to use.

Suunto Vytec - the computer I purchased to replace my Oceanic Versa Pro. I've only used it for a half-dozen dives, and I'm still figuring out how to use it. The first dive, it failed to come on when I decended ... and I was with students, which is worrisome for someone who doesn't have backup instruments. About 2 minutes into the dive, the computer went into dive mode ... but it ended the dive while we were at about 12 fsw, which is also worrisome. It turns out this was due to a weak battery (in a brand new computer). Once I changed the battery it performed fine. One thing I do not like about this computer is that the manual is just awful ... you have to read each section several times to figure it out, and it's more a list of user features than a document that explains how to actually do stuff with the computer. If you're a geek, this is the computer for you ... it'll probably tell you what you had for breakfast if you can figure out how to select the proper menu. But you won't even learn how to access your log by reading the manual.

You should ask OE2X about the Uwatec Aladin ... he's not terribly happy with the one he owns.

Some general comments ... If you're looking for a computer with a very conservative algorithm, look at Suunto or Uwatec. If you're looking for a less-conservative computer (i.e. more allowable bottom time before telling you you're approaching deco limits), look at the Pelagics (Aeris or Oceanic).

Whatever you do, make sure you buy your computer from an authorized dealer and fill out the warranty card.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

hi Bob,

your post is soooo informative!

many many thanks!
cee

CEE you underwater! :07:

Back
Top Bottom