Looking for a dive instructor in NC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree Steven and your advice is always well takened. The point I was trying to make was that some shops require you to have a certain amount of equipment in order to get certified. Some too much and others very mimium. I wish that I had started with a BP and wing when I first started out...it would have takened me from OW to the level I am at today. I have no expected belief that all new divers will be in the caves, wrecks, deco, etc one day. But a good clean kit will just about take you to the level that you Might want to do one day. And what about an instructor that provideds almost all of the gear to get certified?

Ok so I have called all the shops I previously listed and these are my findings.

Sink or Swim, my instructor would be Brent Clevenger (according to a very limited website). I have tried for several days to contact by phone, each time receiving a message that said we are operating under a limited schedule. No other information could be obtained.
Aquatic Pleasures Dive Center, my instructor would be Calving Shaw (according to website). I have tried once again several times to contact them by phone, but keep getting a message of limited hours. I have spoke with a few others and they stated that Aquatic Pleasures require you to buy mask, fins, snorkels, wetsuit, and mouth pieces. On the website, it stated online courses are available (not sure how this works). It also showed multiple classes (PADI, SSI, PSDA) unsure which one I would be taking. Cost was $379.00. I assume other equipment would be provided, it did not state on the website.
Scuba Adventures, my instructor would be Mike Manneth. Spoke with Mike on the phone and he stated that the class starts around $399.00. I would first need to go online and take the PADI online course and once it was completed, then I would come into to do class room with him. He also stated that I would need to purchase my own mask, fins, and snorkel. He said that equipment was provided during the pool work, but I would need to have my own for the certification part. I can rent or buy from him for a discounted rate. He said my certification would be in a lake or I could pay more and go to a quarry.
Lake Hickory Scuba, I would have several instructors to choose from, the owners Tim and Bryan Stafford, Mark Barringer, or Dan Carpenter. After speaking with Bryan on the phone, I was told that I could choose between several classes (PADI, PDIC, SEI, or CMAS). Not sure why there are so many different classes. According to Bryan, I would have to have my own Mask, Fins, and Snorkel, but all other equipment would be provided throughout my certification. He also said that he would recommend me not buying any equipment until I was certified, that I will get to use several types during the course. The cost would be $350.00 as long as I did my certification in the lake. It would be higher if I chose another location like a quarry or Florida. All class room would be done on my schedule, but pool training is only available on Saturdays. He did mention something about confined open water throughout the week, but the water may not work due to the temperature.
The Dive Shop, my instructor would be Mickey Hollar. I would do my training on Mondays and Wednesdays, and the pool part on the same days. Cost would be $300.00 and then $100.00 for the certification part, which will be done in a quarry. According to the owner, they supply everything that I will need, I wouldn’t have to buy anything. I would be taking a PADI course and that it would all be in a classroom, not online. Not sure why some are online and why others are not.
I also looked all the shops up on google, and Aquatic Pleasures, Scuba Adventures, and Lake Hickory Scuba had the best looking websites. The Dive Shop and Sink or Swim did not have that much information. Sink or Swim, Aquatic Pleasures, Scuba Adventures, and Lake Hickory Scuba all had FaceBook pages. Lake Hickory Scuba also had a YouTube link and they had a lot of videos showing demos of the training. I think I have narrowed it down to Aquatic Pleasures, Lake Hickory Scuba, or Scuba Adventures based off my findings.
Out of all of these which one would you choose? My parents said they would pay for the training but they wanted me to pick which shop. Also what should I buy before taking the class, or should I use what the shops offer me to use.

Lake Norman is good, and I highly recommend doing OWT in a quarry. The online classes have you complete all of the online learning modules at home, then you come in for in person review and what not with the instructor and then do pool time. This saves a lot of classroom time for instructors and actually works pretty well. Training agencies don't really matter since they're all the same. They will give you options if they are allowed to train under multiple agencies. PSDA is an agency for Public Safety guys so they need that cert, but most people won't, etc etc.

Check out Asheville Scuba, apparently they are now training via NASE, which is a great organization, no idea about their instructors, but NASE is chomping at the bit hard for pushing out some top notch programs.

Hey there ncrunnerboy. It was good talking with you on the phone, and we are glad you are looking into taking scuba lessons. It would not be very businesslike for us to not try and get your business, however, as some have mentioned both Lake Norman Scuba and Aquatic Pleasures Dive Center are great facilities. Calvin from Aquatic Pleasures is a great instructor and so is Andrew from Lake Norman. I personally have taken classes from both of them and will vouch for both of them. We would most definitely like to have your business but understand the distance gap from where you are. As mentioned over the phone, if you have any questions, please don't hesitate to call or email us. We are open 7 days a week, and will work with you in any way possible to help you out. I have sent you a pm with some more information that might help you. Take care and we hope we can help you discover the under water world.

Lake Hickory Scuba, thank you for all the information. Out of all of the shops I have checked into, yours has been the most informative and friendliest. I hope to start training real soon, and I am very excited. Thanks again for all your help.

You are very welcome ncrunnerboy, let us know when you are ready to get started.

Back
Top Bottom