Looking for a good Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FoxTrot

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a computer and would like a little advice.

From searching through old threads on here I haven't really come across any favorite brand or computer really.

I have come across a lot of debate over Air Integrated vs Analog SPG. A lot of divers saying they've had too many AI comp. failures and like having the Analog SPG, or at least having it as a backup and not having to worry about having all their gauges in one guage if something goes wrong.

Others seem to love the AI, no analog spg backup, and think it's the only way to go.

A few criteria for what i've been looking into are Nitrox compatible, PC Downloadable, Attached or Attachable Compass.

I'm still going back and forth on whether or not I want to go AI (hosed). If I did I'd prob still go with an analog spg backup.

As far as the ones I have been looking at, they are: Sherwood Wisdom and Sherwood Insight, Tusa IQ-700, and a couple Suunto's including the Cobra.

My main concerns are durability and reliability, second to that are features.

I've heard Suunto's are supposed to be great in those first two categories (please correct me if I'm wrong!!!) but what about the Sherwoods and Tusa's?

Would you guys recommend any one of these over the other, or something else I haven't listed?

TIA :eyebrow:

My only Negative is Run away Far away from the TUSA IQ-700. I bought 2 of them and had problems from the day I bought them. They both didn't read depth until you hit 20 feet after a surface master reset all was ok. Then I gave one to my son and we all went to Fla. The one I had worked ok in Fla. My son's went into Deco because it was reading some depth (60 ft I think) when he was on the boat. it then locked up because he missed his Deco stops (on the boat still).

I no longer have these went to Areis XR-2 Great computers so far (40-50 dives).
http://scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=AerisXR23

My friends dive a lot of Chochran computers, no problems and they really like them.

Dude, who needs another hose? Go wrist-mounted. Don't do what I did and waist a boat-load on an AI console. I've gone to the Oceanic VT Pro, and love it. If you gotta throw an SPG on, go for it. But AI wrist-mount is the bomb.

My wife and I have the Aeris Atmos-2s and they have been good to us.

Good call on PC Down loadable and requiring Nitrox.

Think about what you want your computer to do. It's main function is to estimate your obligations based on time and depth. Air integration has nothing to do with these functions. AI hosed or wireless will simply cost you more money, be more complex and up the gadget factor. Nobody is saying you will die if you go AI, I can just find other things to do with my money. The computer between your ears should provide all of the required integration.

The hose reduction for streamlining thing is way overrated.

Pete

I was actually looking at the XR 2 as an option comparable to the TUSA also. Giving it another look right now :)

I just bought a Diverite Nitek Plus and like it for the money. But that is my opinion buy what you want.:D

Check out the Suunto Vyper II generation:

http://www.suunto.com/suunto/main/p...older_id=9852723697223379&bmUID=1171766388298

Vyper2_medium_2f703.jpg

Cheers.

-J.-

I have 2 cochrans, SP EDI, Sherwood Wisdom and an Oceanic VT3. I like all of them except one of the cochrans (Nem 2a that died), and the EDi (too old).

Sherwood Wisdom is rock solid, and you don't even need an owners manual. You can figure it out in about two minutes. In fact, I have a good one that's for sale. Pm if interested.

Cochran is good, but I had one die on me.

Current dc is VT3. no probs, but EXPENSIVE. backup diverite spg.

Is that Suunto Vyper2 out yet? Any online sellers for it or anyone know what it (or what it will) cost?

I'm going to check into the sherwood wisdom again too.

Now i'm sort of leaning toward a wrist mount.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom