looking for a reasonably priced dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Go with a pair (or even 4 if you want a LOT of light) of Archon D11V. About $50 each, a good 600 lumens with a wide beam. Just use quality batteries (Tenergy are good). About 60-75 min per battery.

This video was shot with 2 of them at the beginning. One at the end (I had a bad type battery in one). My buddy is using 4 holographically defused DRIS 1000 LM lights (really about the same as the D11V.

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=760568890695708&pnref=story[/video]

LeisurePro sells on Amazon. IDK if they list their video lights there though.

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 09:02 AM ----------

I think the Big Blue setup is focused on expansion so they're giving the the basics of the clamps/ball setup without extension arms. All those pieces cost at least $25 ea. retail. So look for a setup with flex-arms instead if you don't need that - the loc-line tubing sells for something like $30 for the whole arm - including mountings on each end - allowing better lights to be included at the price point.

Here's an example - 700 lumens/75o beam angle - $399.

Amazon.com : Mozaik - Lighting Package BTS GoPro Dual Tray Arm w/Dual Fantasea Action 700 Video Light : Electronics

Here's another one but you'll still need to provide a tray:
Amazon.com : Nocturnal Lights M700i 700 Lumen LED Focus/Video Light Package with 2" Flex Arm + 1/4"-20 T-Base : Underwater Photography Lighting : Electronics

Shooting Underwater is a U/W Camera/Video Retailer that sells on Amazon. They appear to have most of the Nocturnal Lights line available thru their Amazon Store. As well as listing several other light mfr's in their Amazon Storefront. Click their name in Amazon to see all of it. You can probably also contact them directly for help in putting together pieces you can buy with your cards and assemble into a package - or there's others already listed there - I didn't check. ShootingUnderwater @ Amazon.com:

thanks!
Get a tray isn't an issue - a dive buddy of mine machines a lot of stuff - even his own vintage regulator - so I am guessing I can bribe him with someone to make one

Herman isn't particularly picky about what he has to machine, so you're lucky there, though not sure how much delrin he has machined, though 3d printing will work decently well for this as you don't need a lot of strength and ABS will hold up well enough in water. I'd call DRiS though because the HOG's are really nice for video since they have the push button switch and you don't want twist ons for video since you have to two hand them for operation. See if they will add them to their Amazon store so you can get a pair of them, or just buy call them and ask if you order from Amazon if they can ship the video heads. That will give you two handhelds that are nice and light, order a couple 18650's from BatterySpace and you'll be good to go for around $350. They really do work quite well, and if you find you are running out of burn time, you can invest in the canister from Hog with two cables and it will give you quite a bit of burn time.

Herman isn't particularly picky about what he has to machine, so you're lucky there, though not sure how much delrin he has machined, though 3d printing will work decently well for this as you don't need a lot of strength and ABS will hold up well enough in water. I'd call DRiS though because the HOG's are really nice for video since they have the push button switch and you don't want twist ons for video since you have to two hand them for operation. See if they will add them to their Amazon store so you can get a pair of them, or just buy call them and ask if you order from Amazon if they can ship the video heads. That will give you two handhelds that are nice and light, order a couple 18650's from BatterySpace and you'll be good to go for around $350. They really do work quite well, and if you find you are running out of burn time, you can invest in the canister from Hog with two cables and it will give you quite a bit of burn time.

I am sure his ears are burning now - :)

Do you a link to the specific hogs so I know exactly what I am asking for when I call them?

I am guess between me and him we can figure out a way to mount just about anything (mainly him) I just supply the beer

---------- Post added February 1st, 2015 at 01:56 PM ----------

I think I see what you mean - basically on amazon they sell the light with the spot head and they sell the video head attachment - instead of buying both, I can call them and see if they will just replace the spot head with the video head?

DRIS was able to hook me up - they just said to order from Amazon and then I called them and they will switch out the heads to the video heads.

As far as batteries - they each come with one - but obviously I need a back up - when I google the 18650's - I find multiple options - how the heck do I know I am ordering the right ones?

Go to Fry's and get some Tenergy ones. About $10 each, but worth it.

or batteryspace and order directly from them, they have better chargers with multiple bays as well
Are these the right ones?

Ultra High Energy LG Lithium 18650 Rechargeable Cell: 3.7V 2800mAh (10.36Wh) - LG ICR18650C2 UN38.3 Passed

or this one? that also has a dual bay charger?

Amazon.com: Tangsfire 18650 3600mah 3.7v Rechargeable Li-ion Battery (Pair) + Charger Combo: Electronics

I know the mah's vary from battery to battery - I am not an electronic expert - but I am guessing the higher the mah the longer they will last - what would be the minimum I would need to last during a dive?

avoid the tangsfire ones, I'll have to search because batteryspace used to sell the panasonics just not the big ones individually, but now it appears they don't, i'll look on the other brands, but the cheap chinese ones aren't worth buying.

More MaH means longer burn time, not sure what size they use stock so can't calculate, but it's simple ratios, if they get 80 minutes on a 2800 mah battery and you buy a 3600mah, then it's 80*3600/2800=102, and there is a bit of loss, so you can assume about 95 minutes or so out of that battery.

avoid the tangsfire ones, I'll have to search because batteryspace used to sell the panasonics just not the big ones individually, but now it appears they don't, i'll look on the other brands, but the cheap chinese ones aren't worth buying.

More MaH means longer burn time, not sure what size they use stock so can't calculate, but it's simple ratios, if they get 80 minutes on a 2800 mah battery and you buy a 3600mah, then it's 80*3600/2800=102, and there is a bit of loss, so you can assume about 95 minutes or so out of that battery.

thanks man - I wasn't sure if it was linear or not - I tried to see what the stock ones are, but it is not listed anywhere - so I will just go with a good 3600 or so because you can nver have to long of a light

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom