Looking for a Tablet to Transfer image files

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
My old laptop is heavy and my new one too valuable to want to carry with me when I'm traveling internationally. I'm looking for a tablet that is capable of attaching an input cable and a hard drive via USB ports so I can transfer files from my internal flash memory to the external hard drive via the tablet. This is easy with my laptop, but something light weight that also gives me WiFi would be great. NOT looking to edit the video files on the tablet, just transfer them. Included software would have a file manager app that could select files from one device (the camcorder) and copy them to the external hard drive. TIA.

I think the only one that fits that bill will be the new Microsoft Surface pro, unless you want to McGyver some stuff together to do it clumsily via an Ipad.
Bill

A lot of Asus tablets have an optional keyboard that has a single USB port on them. The keyboard also doubles as a secondary battery for your tablet, which really makes it worth having. The tablet and docking keyboard, when together are very very much like an extremely slim touch screen netbook. They go together very seamlessly and are not flimsy in the least.

The only caveat is that you can only have ONE usb device on the unit. Android does not support usb hubs (as far as i've been able to see) so you cannot plug in your camera, and the external drive and transfer files. This means that if you have a camera that is using compact flash cards, you'll have to first upload the photos to the unit, then to the External drive. However, if your camera uses SD cards, then you can pop the card into the keyboard (it has an SD slot also) and the external into the usb port and happily transfer any file you like.

Benefits to the Asus transformer series:
Micro SD port
SD port
USB port
15 hour consistent use battery life (I mean that too, you can watch movies or cruise the net for 15 hours + on a single charge with the keyboard attached, I've done it many many times in airports around the world)
mechanical QWERTY keyboard with touchpad mouse
Touch screen
Android mobile operating system.

I have two of these things, and while I don't use them to upload my images, they are extremely useful in many other ways.

you might even be able to find a tablet that has an SD slot...I think the Samsung does. Great tablet.

For not much difference in price, the new ultrabooks may be the ticket. My wife recently purchased a Lenovo Yoga for essentially what you are looking to do, plus do a bit of quick video editing. Still hasn't found the right editor, but as a transfer tool it works great. We have a trip coming up in June (2-week live aboard in Bahamas) and I plan to use it as a transfer and quick edit tool for photos rather than tote my old and clunky laptop.

Look into the netbooks. Most of them are cheaper than the 10" tablet, and they are light also.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. Especially appreciate knowing that Android does not support USB hubs... that's critical.

I use a Motorola Xyboard to transfer photos from either an XD or SD card. I chose this tablet when I saw a review where an entire cup of water is dumped on the tablet to test its claim of water resistance. Mine has been on the boat at least 100 times in the last year and has had more than a few splashes. Damp fingers do not work well, so I use a stylus. The Xyboard has a micro usb port, I use a micro to usb a adapter, then a card reader. total length is about 4 inches. Using File manager HD I can copy to the internal storage from a memory card, flash drive, or portable hard drive, and then transfer to any of those sources. When I travel, I no longer bring a heavy laptop.

I use the camera kit to transfer pics to my iPad. Accepts the common types of SD cards and usb sticks. Just have to make sure that it is only picture files on the card/stick or it doesn't work.

Transfers them straight into the photo album on the iPad

anything android with a usb port and external sd card will work
For the apple cult shell out more for the tablet and camera gear all apple proprietary
When i get home my tablet works on my wireless network for full network file managment

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk 2

Back
Top Bottom