looking for an open heel fin under $50 any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CRAZYBOBC

Reaction score
i found three from lp any thoughts
genesis response
genesis aquaflex (looks like mares plana avanti)
oceanic v-drive
any others
fyi just breaking into scuba have only used full foot
need open heel for diving in the northeast (long island)
thanks

Hey Bob,

I used to use the V-drives. They are pretty good fins for the money. I switched to Jets, which give better propulsion and fine control. If you can pony up $10 more, I would recommend the Jets ($60 at LP). When you get over the sticker shock of buying all your gear, you can add a pair of spring straps to them, or make your own. If you want V-Drives, you can have my Blue Xl pair for $25 (PM me).

I'm not familair with any of the others you listed. Good Luck choosing.

Scott

But be warned that the original straps are quite ghettolicious and you will be wanting to follow up with spring straps right away so they really aren't $60 fins after all.

But do a search on Jetfins on here and you will find they come well recommended and are worth the price which is still half the price of a pair of snake oil splits.

I've dived Jets with rubber straps for 20 years. You don't need the springs. No one has ever been able to tell me a good reason to replace the straps.

I got some Cressi-sub pro lights (55 from lp) and I like them fine. The frogs are under 50, or were the last I checked. Remember that there's some hefty shipping on top of a pair of fins.

Chris

Walter:
I've dived Jets with rubber straps for 20 years. You don't need the springs. No one has ever been able to tell me a good reason to replace the straps.

have you ever tried spring straps? if you haven't, I suggest you give it a try, you may not go back to original rubber straps, and will bite your elbows for not switching sooner.

No, I haven't. My rubber straps break every 4 or 5 years. It's not like it's inconvenient. It's certainly cheaper to replace the rubber straps every four or five years than to buy 1 set of spring straps.

Again, no reason.

ChrisJones:
I got some Cressi-sub pro lights (55 from lp) and I like them fine. The frogs are under 50, or were the last I checked. Remember that there's some hefty shipping on top of a pair of fins.

Chris

I'm sure the pro lights are fine, but stay away from the Frogs. Jen had a pair of them, and they're too flimsy. If you have any kind of leg strength they just bend like reeds and you don't go anywhere.

We got caught in a current doing an inlet dive, and I had to tow her out. We got her a different pair on the way home from the dive.

I still have them laying around in a closet somewhere because I'd be embarrased to sell them to anyone :wink:

Back
Top Bottom