looking for an open heel fin under $50 any suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a pair of IDI Power Fins (Scubapro Jet clone) WITH Spring Straps on eBay currenty for LESS than $40, like new!

CRAZYBOBC:
i found three from lp any thoughts
genesis response
genesis aquaflex (looks like mares plana avanti)
oceanic v-drive
any others
fyi just breaking into scuba have only used full foot
need open heel for diving in the northeast (long island)
thanks

The Genesis Aquaflex is the same fin as the Plana Avanti, just with a different brand, and is a great fin. I use Plana Avanti's frequently and prefer them to my SP jet fins in some situations.

And both the Plana Avanti/Aquafelx and the Jet fins are nicer with spring straps. Low grag, nothing to snag, easier to get on and off, they never need adjustment and they won't break at inopportune times.

Walter:
I've dived Jets with rubber straps for 20 years. You don't need the springs. No one has ever been able to tell me a good reason to replace the straps.

Not to discredit your opinion Walter, but IMO, it's a question of whether you wish to carry spares. I just got a pair of Jets on ebay, and another pair for my wife as well. I also have a pair of Quattros which my wife gave me as a birthday gift last June. On a beach dive three months later (only about 10 dives on the fins), one of my straps broke. Lucky for me I had spares. Now that I have my jets, have tried them in the ocean, and love them, I'd like to do without carrying spares.

Semper Safe,

Rick

Walter - with respect, you are truly speaking like someone who hasn't ever WORN Spring Straps.

It's not the durability - which is a bonus - but the ease of donning and doffing which does it for me.

Boogie711:
Walter - with respect, you are truly speaking like someone who hasn't ever WORN Spring Straps.

It's not the durability - which is a bonus - but the ease of donning and doffing which does it for me.

But Walter listed ... easier to get on and off.

It must be the donning and doffing vs. the on and off. Personally, I put on and take off. But I've seen people donn and doff. Maybe donning and doffing is the DIR way?

Hi

I have had mares fins for 12 years, and i do dive most days, i have never had to change a fin strap they are still the originals, look at lots of dive proffesionals they use mares

Boogie711:

I spent 3 hours in the water on Monday recovering a vehicle and trailer that had fallen through the ice. After two long hard working dives in near freezing water I really appreciated the ease of taking off my jet fins with their spring straps. It would have been a real struggle to get them off with a set of regular rubber straps at the end of the second dive given a torn and leaking dry glove and a very cold and cramped left hand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom