Looking for Atlantis the Lost Continent ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most compelling evidence to date suggests that the bimini road in the bahamas is widely accepted as the most probable site for the ruins of atlantis. I am planning to go there myself. Near the rock of gibralta is I think a myth perpetrated by historians after reading Plato.

OK, I've spent decades in secretive research on this subject. Now, finally i can reveal the great truth about Atlantis. It's..

Wait, someone's at the door...

an ancient greek computer was found in the med! after my study on ebay I find it to be
an ancient Dive computer they used to try an find atlantis with.
Ebay= buy old junk to find old junk!!!
( up for sale one ancient greek dive computer used twice to find atlantis need battery):D

My guess would along the mid-atlantic ridge. If the ridge had been above water at some point and the tectonic plates moved apart the whole thing could have disappeared in a day. Fits the stories told about it and that the survivors went to both the new and old world from there.

My guess would along the mid-atlantic ridge. If the ridge had been above water at some point and the tectonic plates moved apart the whole thing could have disappeared in a day. Fits the stories told about it and that the survivors went to both the new and old world from there.

the altantic ridge is spreading and making the atlantic bigger-its not a destrucive margin.

most of the acedemics are going for the minoan civilisation.
south greece around santorini.

the altantic ridge is spreading and making the atlantic bigger-its not a destrucive margin.

most of the acedemics are going for the minoan civilisation.
south greece around santorini.

My thinking was if the plates were not moving away the ridge could build up until it was above water. Once things started to move though it would be felt on a global scale.

My thinking was if the plates were not moving away the ridge could build up until it was above water. Once things started to move though it would be felt on a global scale.

its not always black and white but generally spreading plates have new material added from below and are more or less constantly on the move.
hot spot upwellings do burst though the plates occasionaly making small islands-as the plate moves and the hotspot doesnt you can end up with chains of islands.
where plates are moving together one can be pushed over the other forming mountain ranges etc.

its hard to summerise plate techtonics in 3 sentances.

If you can find a copy, "Atlantis of the North" by Jurgen Spanuth

Amazon.com: Atlantis of the north (9780442213664): Jurgen Spanuth: Books

I've seen the one-hour TV specials on Atlantis and it doesn't do the story justice. It's refer to as a story told by Plato, when actually, it's a story of the Greek Statesman Solon. When Solon visited Egypt in the 5th century B.C., the Egyptian record keepers (priest) regarded him with much respect, as he was a descendant of the great city of Athens, which was one of the few Polis (City States) that resisted the invasion of the Atlantians (again, this is according to the Egyptian records). Here is where the story originates, not as I've seen it repetitively wrong, with Plato. The dates of this invasion correlate to approximately the time of the great eruption of Thera (circa 1200- 1100 B.C.) in the Mediterranean. The Thera catastrophe sent Greece and most of the ancient Mediterranean into a dark age. The knowledge of Ancient Greek writing "Linear B" disappears forever, it's only 600 years later, that we see the Greeks adopt the Phonetician Alphabet.

Much of the dismissal of the Atlantis story is due to the dating of the event. Jurgen Spanuth makes a very valid point in his book. Our Western calendar, differs from the Eastern calendar. We record time by the earth's revolutions around the sun. Even to this day, some cultures record time by moon cycles (e.g. we're all familiar with The Muslim calendar and the month of Ramadan). The ancient Egyptians recorded time by moon cycles, and herein lies one of the fundamental problems with the dating of the event.

This is just one example of how Jurgen Spanuth is able to put the Atlantis story into perspective: it was his life's work. I would so bold as to say, any serious study of the Atlantis story starts with reading Spanuth's "Atlantis Of The North".

Last edited:
I have done some casual reading on this and would like to do some serious research. If you were to go looking for Atlantis where would you start and why?

Please enlighten me :idk:

Anything you find about Atlantis will be just as valuable as the Bible; complete horse crap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom