Looking for fireamrs under bridges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walter scott once bubbled...
One might have better luck using a LARGE magnet tied to a string and simply throw and drag and see what comes up.
I would think there would be a lot of wedding rings and such as that.

Dude your on to something. A while back we tried diving Rough River Lake outside Leitchfield, Ky. OMG the Ohio and the KY. rivers are like the Caribbean compared to it. We were looking for some camping gear this family had dropped of the dock into 40' of water. We ended up using magnets and got more than we did diving.

I've often thought about trying to dive the canals in Naples in Long Beach. How many gondola rides go thru there every day, and how many people are proposed to? There has to be rings in there.

norcaldiver once bubbled...
I've often thought about trying to dive the canals in Naples in Long Beach. How many gondola rides go thru there every day, and how many people are proposed to? There has to be rings in there.

Umm... What are they doing in the water?

Sounds like my Ex has been very busy :)

adder70 once bubbled...

Oh no! Another DIR topic!!! :laugh:

OH, MAN! Please don't lay that one on this discussion. The "hose length" discussion is into its 26th page (at last count) of "You did so!" and "I did not! Nyaah-nyaah!" stuff and I'd sure like to avoid that with this topic.:rolleyes:

BRADB
You're on to something.......maybe thats why I'm still single.
(those stupid zirconium diamonds)

How did that info-mercial go?..."They're not diamonds, they're brilliant DIA-mels! Yes, an expert can tell the differance, but practically no one else can!"

Whether the guns are returned to you or not will depend on the local laws and in some instances on the type of gun found. In South Dakota it is pretty wide open and short of a fully automatic weapon you will probably get it back if the rightful owner cannot be found.

Some more liberal jurisdictions and locations may be far less accomodating, particularly in the case of handguns if handgun possession is tightly controlled or prohibited.

However it sometimes won't matter as if the gun is not stripped, cleaned, dried and oiled shortly after being found it will rust itself into unusabilty during the 90 or so days that pass while they determine if it was used in a crime and/or try to locate the owner. Ideally the forensic guys will do their thing and then the gun will be given the treatment needed to preserve it. Often however it just gets left on a shelf in the evidence room to rust.

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...

Recoving the weapon without going through proper procedures is just SALVAGE. It is a far cry from EVIDENCE RECOVERY, with its attendant "chain of custody" and evidentiary requirements. Without these procedures being followed, peripheral trace evidence will inevitably be lost! Worse, any evidentiary chain that could be established will be broken, leading to impeachment of that piece of evidence in court, and a lost case!

PLEASE, folks, do it the RIGHT way. Mark it, and let the recovery team come and get it.

OK, I know I'm probably the LEAST qualified to make a comment, but it's really more of a question...

I would think that if a diver found a gun, recovered it, called the police to pick it up, yadda, yadda, a sworn statement is also protocol. If properly documented with all details (who, what, where, when, how), I don't see how a defense lawyer would argue about the "chain of custody" because the sworn statement to Law Enforcement is part of that. If you are going to split hairs here, would the act of you marking it disturb the evidence anyway? I think you could go on forever on this one. It's one of the reasons I became an Engineer instead of the usual lawyer legacy in my family (dad, uncle, ect..) :)

Another thought that crossed my mind... If it's THAT big of a trial and gets bad enough to argue custody chain issues just because a non-police diver found it, I would figure on much more evidence beyond a firearm found under a bridge.

Just my deranged legal thoughts....

Jim

Falcon99 once bubbled...

I would think that if a diver found a gun, recovered it, called the police to pick it up, yadda, yadda, a sworn statement is also protocol. If properly documented with all details (who, what, where, when, how), I don't see how a defense lawyer would argue about the "chain of custody" because the sworn statement to Law Enforcement is part of that. If you are going to split hairs here, would the act of you marking it disturb the evidence anyway?

Another thought that crossed my mind... If it's THAT big of a trial and gets bad enough to argue custody chain issues just because a non-police diver found it, I would figure on much more evidence beyond a firearm found under a bridge.

Jim

Jim,

What you say is really quite correct...to a point...and, as they say, the Devil is in the details!

Since you said, in your complete post, that members of your family are lawyers, I guess I shouldn't have to remind you that a defense lawyer will (and should) argue about ANYTHING, including whether or not the sun is still shining somewhere on any cloudy day!

When I go into remarks on the subject of evidence recovery, I am actually in the "teaching" mode, and what we are trying to get across is the BEST or most effective way.

If you mark the object, it should not be by tying something to it. A small buoy on a line with a sufficient weight dropped near the item will enable the team to find it again.

Particularly with a weapon, there may be prints on the weapon (Yes, they do survive for some time!), there may be physical evidence attached to the weapon, and it should actually be recovered in a container with some of the water it was submerged in. Much as you see on CSI, the bagging, tagging, marking and recording, IF DONE PROPERLY, can put together an ironclad case!

You are quite right that there almost always will be other evidence, but this may be the one critical piece that will CONVINCE the jury.:grad:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom