Looking for good Ocean Conservation group to volunteer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLfreshdiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking for a reputable Ocean Conservation group to do some volunteer diving with (reef mapping, fish counting, etc.) so I can put my hobby to good use for the community and the world. Any suggestions? I am in the Orlando area

I'm not too sure about specific projects in your area - I imagine you are looking for something local?

I would suggest a few things to start:

Contact a big organisation like Project Aware Project AWARE Foundation
Contact your local dive clubs, aquariums or academic institutes (dealing with marine biology)

If you're looking for projects further away, the one I've had some experience with is Coral Cay Conservation Coral Cay Conservation - Home They have projects in Asia and The Caribbean amongst other places.

I recently came across a book called Ecotourists Save the world (here is my review Book pick: Ecotourists Save the World - if you love the outdoors and want to do good | Sea Forever) and it is a directory/listing of projects - with most in the US. While most are on land, there are some involving marine and aquatic-related work.

All the best

you might want to try Reef.org. I think they have a branch in FL. REEF does fish and invertebrates surveys, so when you are diving you can look for the fish and inverts that they are trying to count in a particular area
christy

There is a new ecotourism company based out of Key Largo. They offer dive options that allow visitors to observe, learn about and actively preserve Florida's beautiful reefs. Options include REEF fish surveys, coral disease/bleaching monitoring for Mote Marine Lab and actively "planting" baby corals on local reefs with the Coral Restoration Foundation. You can call 1-877-99-GO-ECO for more info or check us out on the web at goecokeys.com

Myself and a few others started a 501(c)(3) based out of Pinellas County, called Reef Monitoring. We started with invertebrate and fish counts back in 2005 following the massive Red Tide and consequent low oxygen kill event we had.
In November of last year, we started concentrating heavily on establishing a base count in case the bill that was in the legislature (at the time) passed and would allow near-shore drilling off of Florida.
We didn't realize that we were on the brink of a disaster.
We are still conducting the counts and looking for all the volunteers possible. Might be a little far for you to drive though.
Check out our website at reefmonitoring dot org for more info!
THANKS!
Capt. Sean Patterson

Back
Top Bottom