Looking for Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once again Scubawife, you've explained things very well :)

vegeta82:
Dont know how you do or dont define "new" but I am and "advanced PaDI Diver" made 50 dives this year some night some day. All in lakes with the exception of one river dive. So I am not a grizzly vet but not an OW student. My buddy is a DM.

I didn't mean to offend you, I apologize if that is how you took it. Everyone has their own definition of "new" and that is a discussion in its own right. However, by most standards, you would be considered a new diver. "New" doesn't necessarily mean unskilled or freshly certified, it means new in that you don't have that many dives under your belt yet...and there's nothing at all wrong with that as long as you recognize that and are honest with yourself and those you dive with about your actual experience (different environments, situations you've had to deal with underwater, etc.)

FWIW, I’ve often seen newly certified divers that can dive circles around some I’ve seen with DM rankings. Certification level is only a card.

Even as an instructor with 2000+ dives under my belt, I am a new diver in some conditions. For example, I know the Cozumel waters like the back of my hand but I would never go to a completely new environment for the first time and assume I can handle it at the same level I handle advanced dives in Cozumel. It's not my environment, so I need to acclimate, get a local DM to orient me and take me on a few dives (or more), etc. Another example, I just got back from Cocos Island, which has some pretty extreme diving conditions. Despite my certification level and 2000+ logged dives, there were times I was VERY challenged. I handled those dives, but I didn't take my "credentials" for granted and get arrogant about the rankings and label. Each diving environment is different and needs to be taken seriously and respected for what it is, especially the first time.

vegeta82:
Disappointed to hear my weekend night diving may not happen but such is life. I will pursue it anyway. If you dove the lakes I did you would realize that 80 foot of visability even if it is nothing more than white sand will be an awesome dive for me... You ocean dwellers or folks that can afford to make dive trips are spoiled in my eyes. I just got in from a night dive at lake Murray. 10 feet of vis which is good for that lake. So Ill take whatever I can get but I will be very safe and we wont be diving on monday when our plane leaves at 2:00 pm so we should be safe. Not sure how many dives we will get Ill let you know in early october but the number is irrelevant really. But i am used to making 4 dives daily when i go on all day trips locally here so I would expect about the same when diving in a Divers PAradise. But thanks for your input and hopefully the shore currents wont be to strong while I'm thier....

LAter

GC

It CAN happen, I just wanted to give you the reality so that you can prepare before you get here. In otherwords, contact a few, or several dive operations and communicate what you want to do and make arrangements before you arrive rather than just showing up and hoping to get all these dives in that you aim for (and maybe that is what you were planning to do anyway).

October is LOW season, so most operations aren't going to be running full morning and afternoon schedules as in high season. Even in high season, Saturday afternoon through Sunday night is very quiet with not many boats out...which is a great thing if you are out diving :)

As Scubawife said...the big high volume, large boat ops are more likely to have scheduled afternoon dives on Saturday (possibly Sunday) because they have more people diving with them at any given time so it is easier for them to assemble the minimum numbers needed to make the additional trips. The trade off is typically (not always) less bottom time, more divers, less choice in site selection (often prescheduled by the operation), etc.

You could also get lucky and find a small boat operation with some scheduled afternoon/night dives for those dates...and/or other people who also want to do additioanl dives, which brings me back to my point of contacting a few operations and making your arrangements before you arrive. If they know ahead of time what you want to do, they can try to make it happen for you.

Your hotel location will require you to spend more time in taxi's getting to and from the better shore diving and boat pick-up locations.

I hope you enjoy Cozumel as much as the rest of us and that you continue coming back for more :)

Have a great time and be safe!

Thanks everyone for your continued input your suggestions and comments are taken to heart. Christie no need to apologize I am a first time diver to Coz so i am new in whatever aspect you would rank someone. I am pretty conservative when it comes to diving because a wife and kids is more important than extending my bottom time. I belive from tips from my LDS and posts on here that I may use Raul Platas of Bottom Time Divers. From my understanding they are a good OP. I will certainly be making calls to find out whom may offer night/twilight diving while im thier. Unfortunately I am booked to the Coral Princess so we will be taking the Taxi.. The Coral Princess room package did come with a shore dive tank. Hopefully an AL 80 but its free and they have a dive OP onsite PEPE's. Am hoping PEPE does night dives but it may be it sounds like it may be tough to get an OP for this. I will cross my fingers. What does a Taxi from the north to south cost anyhow? But the good news for flight/hotel it is only costing me $435. So I belive I got a good deal. I am not going to be after number of dives trully but really do want long quality diving. I am starting a log off sites that people have verified are in good post wilma condition so I will search the threads but if you know of any from recent diving that would be good to know. I really dont care if they are shallow 60 feet and shallower or deeper up to 100'. Also should i be concered I have dove since 1993 but my C Card is from SCUBA EDUCATORS ASSOCIATION. Was a quality course but they no longer exist (i think). I was planning on bringing my logs but I wanted to be sure I wasnt going to be hazed becasue my cert. was kinda obscure. Again thanks for the help and I seriously take your adivce to heart. I promise you all I wont push myself to break any records but am pumped to be diving in a clear and colorful world renown enviroment. Ive snorkeled the Keys years ago and my memory of those experiances and murky lakes are fueling my desires.

Thanks again to all.

GC

You will without a doubt have a good time with Raul and the dives you get in will be quality dives.

Yes, you did get a good deal on the hotel and air!

I also ran into one of the owners of Pepe Scuba today and asked him about shore diving in front of CP. He said as long as you stay close to the wall/shore, the current isn't bad and there is now an exit point just a short ways to the north. They can always update you with the current shore diving conditions there.

Taxi from CP to downtown = $5 to $6
CP to Caleta (the marina) = $10 to $12

Your c-card should be sufficient, but it wouldn't hurt to bring your log book just in case.

Have a great time!

vegeta82:
... I am not going to be after number of dives trully but really do want long quality diving.

...I was planning on bringing my logs but I wanted to be sure I wasnt going to be hazed becasue my cert. was kinda obscure.

You won't be disappointed or hazed. The dive industry on Cozumel is extremely well organized to provide divers with the most fulfilling dive experience that they are experienced enough to handle, from the newest novice to the grizzled veteran. You're going to have a great time. Don't worry, be happy.

As far as the restaurant question, around these parts we use 'Christi's restaurant list' it is a really good place to start: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=124024&highlight=christi's+restaurant+list

There are sooooooo many good places to eat in Cozumel, it is staggering! every year the list of "must do's" gets longer and longer, most places are very affordable if not just plane cheap!

Hey! I need me some of those mole enchilada's from Pancho's Backyard! and one of Lisa's great desserts at Rock-n-Java!!!

Checked out the list thanks Sharky I am now hungry... Any of these places setup for sports watching. Its OU/Texas football weekend and IM and OU fan so if i can sneak in and watch part of the Game that would be great. Should be a Nationally televised games in the States. but i have no clue what kind of tele you all get on the island...

vegeta82:
Checked out the list thanks Sharky I am now hungry... Any of these places setup for sports watching. Its OU/Texas football weekend and IM and OU fan so if i can sneak in and watch part of the Game that would be great. Should be a Nationally televised games in the States. but i have no clue what kind of tele you all get on the island...

You could try Kelly's. They tend to be willing to tune in games (and US reality TV shows) if they are available and a few people at the bar want to watch and nobody else objects.

vegeta82:
Going to Coz from October 6 to the 9th and staying at the Coral Princess hotel..
Wanting to know a good dive op who will give me lots of bottome time and take me to goods spots. Planning on making 12 dives between boat and shore... Is shore diving at the coral princess ok??? IT is located pretty much due west I belive of downtown definetly not on the south part of the island.

Also what are some good restruants both mexican and seafood that are good but afforadable...

Also going to make a night dive any prefered opps for this dive or location to do it??

If it matters its my first coz trip but i a solid diver with over 40 dives in the past year and have drifted dived before. My buddy is a DM.

Thanks for all your help

Night Dives on the weekend,less than 4 people.....Give Troy's Pelagic Ventures a call.Night dives anytime.

The link is in my sig.

Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom