Looking for info on Seattle/Alki Cove 2 diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congrats to both of you for doing your best to help the diver. I will add an extra one for you also jodomonk, and that is for being wise and not descending a second time with the amount of air that you had left. Very wise decision. You yourself do not want to become a victim.

WHY do people dive alone?

I can not speak for him, but only for myself but unless he had a major malfunction under the water which lead to him losing all his air, he made a major mistake which was to not watch his air pressure. It may not have mattered whether he had a buddy or not.

WHY do people dive alone?
I'm not sure that's the right question to be asking ... perhaps a better one would be whether or not he was properly equipped and experienced to be diving alone ... and would it have made a difference if a buddy had been there?

The last person to die in Cove 2 ... the rebreather diver who Jerry pulled out of the buoy chain a few months back ... was also diving solo. The one before that ... who Lamont, BDub and others tried to rescue ... had a dive buddy. The result was the same in both cases.

I solo dive that site from time to time (will be doing so in Cove 3 in just a couple of hours, in fact) ... and think the bigger issue is adequate preparation. Solo diving isn't something you should take lightly ... even if you are planning to "keep it shallow".

My condolences to this diver's family, friends, and those who were involved in bringing him in ... it's gonna be a tough time for all of them.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

If he was solo diving did he have redundancy air (pony bottle)? I can't imagine someone going in the water alone with out an independent source of air.

When we got him to shore, paramedics had just arrived on site and began chest compressions along with that squeezy thing they put over your mouth. Eventually they hooked up some kind of machine to his chest as well as an I.V.

Good work on your fast responce in retrieving him, and your sencible call not to endanger yourself. making more victims is never a good thing.

The next best thing that could have happend to this guy is having paramedics already in place to take over the resesetation. Kudos on their responce time as well. the squeezy thing they put over his mouth was more than likely a BVM (bag valve mask) a contraption that if used properly is more efficient and less likely to exchange fluids while giving venalations. It also has the option to deliver 100% oxygen at a very high rate while doing CPR, Which they were prabably doing also.

The fact that they attached a machine to his chest gives us hope that it is a defibilater and the subject was showing some kind of heart pattern. (it wont work if he is already dead regardless of what tv shows ya) just a lil FYI incase ya didnt already understand what they were doing for your towee.

Although full recesatations are slim, remember we have that golden hour, and your times are showing well with in that window. Fast first aid is the best First aid!

Good work again!
Clay :coffee:

Thank you for the update. Thoughts and prayers going out to the family...

I can not speak for him, but only for myself but unless he had a major malfunction under the water which lead to him losing all his air, he made a major mistake which was to not watch his air pressure. It may not have mattered whether he had a buddy or not.

But having a buddy willing and able to donate air would have made a difference...

But having a buddy willing and able to donate air would have made a difference...

Depends on the buddy. I always carry a pony with me as I have been abandoned a number of times, even by an instructor. So at those times my "buddy" who is supost to be watching my back as I watch his would not have been there to help. Otherwise I would agree with you.

I am not actually a diver, but I wanted to tell about Josh. He is the diver pulled from the water yesterday on Alki beach . He was one of my best friends, and I am his fiance's best friend as well. I was supposed to be in their wedding, we just hadnt decided what side I was to stand on yet. Dont know why I thought you should know that, it just seems important. Every detail of him seems important to me now. Despite all efforts, nothing could bring him back. He is loved by so many, and will be greatly missed. He loved diving, and is in school to do it for a living. His fiance' loves him more than anything in this world and thanks you for everything everyone one that beach did to help rescue Josh.

Back
Top Bottom