Looking for information on fins for bad knees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judydivescoz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to buy some new fins. Currently, I dive with full foot Scubapro twin jet fins in warm water and the open heel version with my dry suit. They are both so heavy and it really wears on my very arthritic knee. Any one have experience with some of the newer fins out that may be more light weight and easier on my joints? I hate to spend $$ on fins that will not be any better so your input might be helpful.

I don't know if this would solve your problem, but SB member Robertarak was diving with a set of Omega fins that fold up once you hit land. He said they helped him a lot. They were shown at DEMA this year.

I would look at a pair of Mares Volo's. They come in both full foot and open heel. One person I dive with is developing some sort of muscle degenerative condition and he uses them. My brother had 3 strokes when he was 14 and has had some leg muscle surgery's. He says it's like not wearing any fins at all.

Do to the unique design of Force Fins your joints will not have to go through the stress of pushing water away from you. It will take you a few dives to get used to the energy versus output ratio because it is so different from some of the other fins you have used, but if you are really concerned about the stress on your knees I would recommend Force Fins. You also have a 30 day no questions asked money back offer if you buy the fins from Force Fin directly so it gives you a chance to try them and dive them at least 3 or 4 times before you make a solid opinion. To understand more about the design and concept of Force Fin please take a look at there website and look for “The truth about Dive Fins” under the Words of the Wise - instructional section. The Truth About Dive Fins
Good luck and safe diving!

ScubaPro Twin Speed. (you get a full foot and open heel version) The full foot version is great. Much lighter than the twin jet. Open heel version is also a lot lighter than the Twin Jet.

However just about any light weight split fin will be good for bad knees. Mares Volos are also a good choice. They are not a split fin but also use less effort when kicking (vs the std paddle fin)

I believe that flexibility is not enough to reduce stress on the knees. It comes down to the angle of attack. Some fins have closed toe pockets and Force Fins have open toes pockets so the stress from moving the fins underwater is transferred to the thigh versus the calf.

One of the most common complaints that people have about diving is that their feet and legs hurt when they try to kick with today's long or stiff fins. Their arches or calves cramp, their toes are smashed into the end of the foot pocket, their legs tire... Sound familiar? The primary cause of all this pain is that most fins are designed to concentrate much of the force from kicking on the smaller muscles of the lower leg and feet. And those muscles simply can't take the stress of powering a large fin blade through the water. The result? Fatigue and cramping. But with the trail-blazing Force Fin, our unique foot-pocket design transfers much of the effort of moving the blade to the largest muscle group in your body, the quadriceps, removing pressure from the toes and feet. Because your entire leg is now doing the work, muscle fatigue and cramping is significantly reduced.
clip_image001.jpg
Try this simple test to see the difference between how our fins work with your body as compared to other brands. While seated, cross your ankle over your knee, grab your toes and pull them in the direction of the sole of your foot.
Do you feel the stretch and tension running from the top of your foot up and along the shin? Those are the primary muscles that other fins work because the fin blade extends from your toes.

clip_image002.jpg
Now, hold the top of the foot - pull again toward the sole of the foot and resist with the leg. The tension has moved up to the upper leg, hasn't it?Because of their unique design based on human biomechanics, Force Fins work the larger muscles of the upper leg in addition to the lower leg. These muscle groups are large and powerful. They are best equipped to efficiently power your fin blade

I have psuedogout in both knees and dive with original force fins. My Knees never bother me while diving, and I do some long (1,000 kicks both ways) surface swims.

Have you tried different types of kicks with the fins you have? My knees are terrible, but when I started using a frog kick instead of a flutter or modified flutter kick, the pain ceased. I realize everyone is different, just something to ponder.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom