Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkF1969

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I own 2 of these great vintage spearguns. Some of you might of seen the one when Richard Dreyfus was loading his gear onto the boat in Jaws the movie. Also the gun was on an episode of Pawn Stars. I have been rebuilding them for over 25 years. I casted an ammo sleeve ( it uses a 22 cal tapcon stud driver shell to launch the spear) in stainless steel to reuse over and over. I would like to try to 3d print one. Anyway I am always looking for parts...ect. I am here in FL and friendly. Call me if you have a SMG or parts for sure.
Mark F
407-703-6195

Attachments

• 20240301_194931.jpg
    20240301_194931.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 45
I own 2 of these great vintage spearguns. Some of you might of seen the one when Richard Dreyfus was loading his gear onto the boat in Jaws the movie. Also the gun was on an episode of Pawn Stars. I have been rebuilding them for over 25 years. I casted an ammo sleeve ( it uses a 22 cal tapcon stud driver shell to launch the spear) in stainless steel to reuse over and over. I would like to try to 3d print one. Anyway I am always looking for parts...ect. I am here in FL and friendly. Call me if you have a SMG or parts for sure.
Mark F
407-703-6195
Hey thanks Mark F. I am trying to find plastic cartridges that .22 Ramset cartridges fit into. Stephanie w/Tarpoon S D C in Hialeah says if I find any, please let her know as most SMG fishers tossed the used ones to get pre-loaded cartridges. They ARE reloadable.
Please DM me or I will try to contact you. I now have machinist trying to make metal cartridges. I posted pics on another related reply. I am keeping mine.

Scott G. Bonser

Scott call or text me 407-703-6195
This is what I made in stainless to be reusable. I have some of the plastic sleeves also.

Attachments

• 20240304_222819.jpg
    20240304_222819.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 30
Never put my hands on one..but on my list.

Question about the insert...being rimfire, wouldn't a plastic insert/adapter take a beating from repeated use? (Ok for single use).
Also, is there shell blowback once fired?
From what the picture posted that would be easy to do on a lathe (I have one) .

Every time I see this headline I think of this
IMG_5810.jpeg

Although it an LMG

Never put my hands on one..but on my list.

Question about the insert...being rimfire, wouldn't a plastic insert/adapter take a beating from repeated use? (Ok for single use).
Also, is there shell blowback once fired?
From what the picture posted that would be easy to do on a lathe (I have one) .
I believe that was how they were were originally designed. Disposable air cartridges, just go to your friendly SMG dealer, Tarpoon Skin Diving Center and purchase another box of preloaded cartridges and toss your old ones. they were made of polyethylene and could not handle repetitive blasts….but they did …and many SMG fishers reloaded their own until they finally broke and leaked water into the air chamber. Now the cartridges used or pre-loaded are impossible to find since they haven’t produced SMGs since the ?? ‘90s ??

Since the ‘blanks’ for the air cartridges are a .22 cal.Ramset construction cartridge and the breach and chamber are immersed in water the blowback is minimal. Or so it was designed. The firing pin and mechanism on these guns are pretty substantial. Mine is, but keeping the cartridge assembly dry in my old one has been a challenge. That is why I seek out reusable metallic air cartridges. I can use marine sealants that will break only when gun is fired and reload the cartridges myself as the original Tapmatic cartridges for the SMG are no longer produced…to my knowledge.

Now if you have a lathe that is capable of producing such a reusable cartridge, You may want to contact MarkF1969, a new Scubaboard member. You can DM him. He showed me what he has. He has some re-loaded and original air cartridges for his SMGs and like myself looking for metallic ones. He does have working metallic ones he made in his dad’s dental lab a long time ago but is trying to find someone who can make a few. I am trying to do the same thing. Please DM me if this is a possibility. If you are able I would like to get maybe 5 as they would be reloadable and reusable. ’James79’ may be able to 3D print, but again, plastic and how many repeated shots would one be able to handle.

Thanks for following up on this thread. I do have a couple of other interested folks. SMGs are ‘ugly as a duckling’ but the most absolutely cool speargun to collect if they work. 🤿💦.

Scott G. Bonser

I believe that was how they were were originally designed. Disposable air cartridges, just go to your friendly SMG dealer, Tarpoon Skin Diving Center and purchase another box of preloaded cartridges and toss your old ones. they were made of polyethylene and could not handle repetitive blasts….but they did …and many SMG fishers reloaded their own until they finally broke and leaked water into the air chamber. Now the cartridges used or pre-loaded are impossible to find since they haven’t produced SMGs since the ?? ‘90s ??

Since the ‘blanks’ for the air cartridges are a .22 cal.Ramset construction cartridge and the breach and chamber are immersed in water the blowback is minimal. Or so it was designed. The firing pin and mechanism on these guns are pretty substantial. Mine is, but keeping the cartridge assembly dry in my old one has been a challenge. That is why I seek out reusable metallic air cartridges. I can use marine sealants that will break only when gun is fired and reload the cartridges myself as the original Tapmatic cartridges for the SMG are no longer produced…to my knowledge.

Now if you have a lathe that is capable of producing such a reusable cartridge, You may want to contact MarkF1969, a new Scubaboard member. You can DM him. He showed me what he has. He has some re-loaded and original air cartridges for his SMGs and like myself looking for metallic ones. He does have working metallic ones he made in his dad’s dental lab a long time ago but is trying to find someone who can make a few. I am trying to do the same thing. Please DM me if this is a possibility. If you are able I would like to get maybe 5 as they would be reloadable and reusable. ’James79’ may be able to 3D print, but again, plastic and how many repeated shots would one be able to handle.

Thanks for following up on this thread. I do have a couple of other interested folks. SMGs are ‘ugly as a duckling’ but the most absolutely cool speargun to collect if they work. 🤿💦.

Scott G. Bonser

…’Cool’ my friend Crazy Dave owns a MP40 taken by our forces during the ‘Battle of the Bulge’ …shoots great and doesn’t ‘walk’ on you when you are shooting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom