Looking for Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

richhagelin

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a liveaboard for my first liveaboard trip. I am an experienced diver and normally go to Cozumel, Grand Cayman or Bonaire for a week at a time twice a year.

What are the thoughts on the various liveaboard operations and locations?

Thanks,

Rich Hagelin

I enjoy liveaboards that go to the Channel Islands - although it is more of a warm water experience. I have my blog which has my last trip report on it and will be going again sometime this winter so I will have more information, photos, etc. I have always gone out with Truth Aquatics out of Santa Barbara although I have heard that there are other good liveaboards out of Ventura and Long Beach as well.

I have a feeling (not having done boats in GB, Bonaire, etc.) that the accommodations are more "rustic" on the Channel Islands trip. You get a bunk, not a stateroom. Shared showers. Great food, nice divers (generally). Prices range $550 to $700 depending.

My first liveaboard was Nekton - Cayman Islands.

It was a most excellent experience.

I am taking my kids on one of their locales in 2008!

I cannot say enough about the Aggressor Fleet. I've been on two so far and will do many more before they plant me. Each time I have at least one 'dive of a lifetime'. The people who work on these boats are experienced, friendly, and service-oriented. Check out their website Aggressor Fleet | The ultimate in live-aboards since 1984for destinations and rates. We've done the Cayman Aggressor, with the 100,000th diver (missed it by 3 divers :116::116:), and the Fiji Aggressor. Many of the divers on these trips have several trips with the Aggressor fleet and are planning more.

Pam

Hard to know what your parameters are from your post. However I suggest if you are a keen diver and have done the areas you list then maybe it is time to treat yourself.

Why not go to the part of the world with the greatest marine biodiversity? The place scientifically proven to hold more of the worlds sea creatures than anywhere else.

I am of course talking about the Coral triangle - or South East Asia generally. Many North American based divers can't believe the step up in colour and proliferation of life to be seen in places like Komodo, Sipadan, Raja Ampat, Banda, North Sulawesi, The Similan islands....

Here is where you will find some of the finest diving on the planet and plenty of the world's best liveaboards with prices for all budgets but always with the guarantee that you are slipping into extraordinarily rich water.

Have fun wherever you go.

I'm looking for a liveaboard for my first liveaboard trip. I am an experienced diver and normally go to Cozumel, Grand Cayman or Bonaire for a week at a time twice a year.
What are the thoughts on the various liveaboard operations and locations?
Thanks,
Rich Hagelin

It all depends on what you want to see and what time of year. Also, what's your budget?

Since you have done the best of the Caribbean, why not try a trip to Pacific! There are several great options there. Me and my hubby are going to be on the Big Blue Explorer in Palau (Big Blue Explorer Scuba Diving Liveaboards in Palau Micronesia) the first week in Dec. :D You might want to check out the Fiji Aggressor (Aggressor Fleet | The ultimate in live-aboards since 1984) as that looks amazing and is also high on our todo list. :D

robint

You might want to check out Explorer Ventures ( Explorer Ventures Liveaboard Diving - Top Value Scuba Diving Vacations in the Bahamas, Caribbean, Turks & Caicos, Australia and Galapagos!). They have boats in the Caribbean, Australia & the Galapagos. I've done their Bahamas liveaboard and the Saba-St. Kitts liveaboard. They were both great trips.

If you're looking for something a little different check out the Solmar V out of Cabo San Lucas. It goes to the Revillagigedo Islands. It's colder than the Caribbean, but we saw some great sealife; humpback whales, whale sharks & manta rays.

I will be taking a group aboard the MV Spree for a five day trip to the Dry Tortugas. If you are interested, PM me and I will send the info.

I would sugest trying a liveaboard off Australia or somewhere in the Pacific. The coral tiangle is a great place to dive. I have taken StarDancer out of Walindi as well as a liveaboard in Austalia (Osprey and GBR) We had a great time on both but we waited too long before ever trying a liveaboard. The species and coral life outside of the Caribbean is fantastic in these places. Taking a liveaboard in the Pacific will change your view of the great diving in the Caribbean.

Try: Mike Ball
StarDancer
BigBlue Explorer
or anyother Pacific liveaboard

We still think the diving is good in the Caribbean, .......but not fantastic

If you're going Caribbean, I'd strongly recommend the Nekton. It's quite a bit cheaper than most of the other companies, but won't leave you wanting for anything. Very well run organization.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom