Looking for mares abyss vortex second stage and faceplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

444fox

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey, I think this is the right place to post this.
I'm looking to by a Mares turbo or voltrex seconds stage. Im also looking for 4 matching purge covers for the mares abyss base (navy, turbo, voltrex...ect), don't care which as long as all four match. does anyone know where to source the purge covers?

I've ordered from them twice without problems.

A nicer option would be the new cover from the DR. This is the version of the Abyss sold in Mares' XR tech line. It looks like the old Orbiter cover. The part number is 46184279. You'd have to find a Mares dealer willing to order it for you.

Mares-XR-DR-Regulator-Front.png

Reactions: Zef
Hey, I think this is the right place to post this.
I'm looking to by a Mares turbo or voltrex seconds stage. Im also looking for 4 matching purge covers for the mares abyss base (navy, turbo, voltrex...ect), don't care which as long as all four match. does anyone know where to source the purge covers?

There was no Mares 2nd stage named the "turbo". The Mares Abyss 2nd stage came with a faceplate/cover nicknamed "turbo" (e.g., Mares Abyss "Turbo". This cover plate came on model years between 2000 and 2004.

1680323924567.png

Any Mares dealer should be able to source the post 2008 faceplate/cover which is current through a couple of years ago when the discontinued the Abyss in all forms except the Abyss Navy. This is the silver faceplate depicted below, part # 46200849.

1680323286930.png

There are some Indonesian web sources for the above face plate as well. The cost conversion on those websites is roughly $30-$40 US/each.

Note that there is a hook behind the tab like extension on the left side that fits in the hose cover that comes with that version of the 2nd stage. Part # 46200846.

-Z

A nicer option would be the new cover from the DR. This is the version of the Abyss sold in Mares' XR tech line. It looks like the old Orbiter cover. The part number is 46184279. You'd have to find a Mares dealer willing to order it for you.

Mares-XR-DR-Regulator-Front.png
Has anyone found a dealer willing to order these DR faceplates either in the USA or willing to ship to the USA? I would like to replace the beat-up cover of my Orbiter reg...

I've ordered from them twice without problems.

Interesting that the DR cover assembly has the same part number as the Orbiter cover assembly:

1687963573718.png
1687963886078.png

Has anyone found a dealer willing to order these DR faceplates either in the USA or willing to ship to the USA? I would like to replace the beat-up cover of my Orbiter reg...

I recommend giving Dive Gear Express a call, or Lake Hickory Scuba. Brian from Lake Hickory used to post on Scuba Board, I see he still has a presenece on youtube, and to my knowledge his shop is still a Mares dealer.

-Z

I recommend giving Dive Gear Express a call, or Lake Hickory Scuba. Brian from Lake Hickory used to post on Scuba Board, I see he still has a presenece on youtube, and to my knowledge his shop is still a Mares dealer.

-Z

Dive Gear Express advised:

"The part P/N 46184279 has been discontinued; however, the NEW part number for the 2nd stage face cover is SKU: 46200849 Description: 2nd stage face cover Cost: $42"

Thanks to your outstanding guide I believe the 46200849 faceplate is the modern "Abyss" cover which is not as cool as the Orbiter/DR mesh one. You think it's likely that the reuse of the p/n as noted above is causing the confusion? I can't imagine they've already discontinued the DR cover (but it's entirely plausible that they discontinued the Orbiter obviously).

Dive Gear Express advised:

"The part P/N 46184279 has been discontinued; however, the NEW part number for the 2nd stage face cover is SKU: 46200849 Description: 2nd stage face cover Cost: $42"

Thanks to your outstanding guide I believe the 46200849 faceplate is the modern "Abyss" cover which is not as cool as the Orbiter/DR mesh one. You think it's likely that the reuse of the p/n as noted above is causing the confusion? I can't imagine they've already discontinued the DR cover (but it's entirely plausible that they discontinued the Orbiter obviously).
Here is the part list for the DR 2nd stage showing the part number:
1687970639376.png

As you suggest, I think the reused part number may be causing some confusion, but I am not a Mares dealer so I don't know for sure.

I also wonder if you are letting them know that you need the part for an Orbiter or if you are telling them you need the part for a DR 2nd stage. If the former, they may not know the DR uses the same part/part # as the much older and discontinued Orbiter. Perhaps asking for "a replacement cover assembly for a DR 2nd stage" might help get you what you need/want.

-Z

I didn't state what reg the faceplate was for (for the exact reason you mentioned). I simply inquired if they could obtain Mares p/n 46184279. I have to imagine the reusing of an old part number is contributing to the confusion here, but who knows?

Reactions: Zef
I didn't state what reg the faceplate was for (for the exact reason you mentioned). I simply inquired if they could obtain Mares p/n 46184279. I have to imagine the reusing of an old part number is contributing to the confusion here, but who knows?

After speaking with a few Mares shops in my region, I don't think the issue is part number confusion. None were able to cross reference the part number to a product in Mares' system to order parts. Perhaps Mares made a change to the part number and didn't update their diagram/parts list.

The shops I spoke to are going to research further and let me know if they are able to obtain it and what the price would be. I will post back if/when they reach back out to me.

-Z

Awesome, please keep me posted. This is the response I got when I requested clarification about whether or not the DR faceplate had already been discontinued...

"Ben,

I can confirm 46184279 has been discontinued, earlier I had a chance to speak to the representative at Mares and they do not have any on hand. They stated that the SKU: 46200849 is the replacement.

You are welcome to contact Mares at +1 (800)874-3236 if you have any questions."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom