looking for my first dive comp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got my first computer. It is a Cressi giotto. It's pretty simple. It pretty simple. I haven't got the interface yet so I can't tell you everything. I like the size of the face because it's easy to read. It have a protective lens cover that is replaceable. You can make it more conservative 3 settings for this. If I compare it to dive tables it seems very conservative but I have read others say that it was not that different than some others. I would like to be able to dissect my dive more for my logs books. I like to be able to know temperatures and my time at different depths. I'm hoping I can do it with the interface. The dive plan gives you an idea of your bottom time but will vary, of course, because of variables like how long it took you to get to the bottom etc. It has a visual ascent graph in the center of the display that has arrows that give you an idea of how fast your going up and to slow down if you need to. Of course, safety stop. I picked it up for $300 and my instructor gave me the course for free for buying it. It is not air integrated but I like my trusty spg. Battery is replaceable with a coin. Has nitrox. Has customizable o2 %. It's a nice computer. It has 3 buttons.

Hi Nicole,

No, I do not do technical diving. The Geo 2 would not be appropriate for technical diving though it does offer a gauge mode, which would be useful in some situations. Nearly all my dives are within recreation limits. I occasionally dive deeper than 130 feet and a little less than 5% of my dives have some very light deco, less than 15 minutes, average 5 minutes. The VT3 and Geo2 are fine at this time for my diving.

Only you know if technical diving is in your future and when. It's often better for newer divers to get a good basic computer to use while they are accumulating experience and then buy a high quality technical computer when and if that is indicated. It is also likely that there will be improvements and options available in the future to influence decisions

Best of luck, good diving, Craig
it allows for 2 gas mixing right? this is the only reason why my dive instructor would recommend the amphos over the geo 2 but as i'm doing my research, i read that both allow 2 gas mixes.

it allows for 2 gas mixing right? this is the only reason why my dive instructor would recommend the amphos over the geo 2 but as i'm doing my research, i read that both allow 2 gas mixes.

Hi there,

I don't think you should worry about the ability to use two separate gasses on a single dive, or on the computer having a gauge mode. Both of those things are in the tech diving realm, and as a new diver, you're likely not doing any technical diving in the near future. When and if you do try tech diving, you will almost certainly want something different regardless of what you get now, unless you get a full-on tech computer like the shearwater petrel. And tech diving has so many other expenses that a computer/bottom timer is not a significant expense in that world. (or doesn't have to be)

Your initial plan of getting something small, simple, and inexpensive is the way to go, IMO. What you need in a computer is depth/time info, NDL, a graphic representation of N2 loading (this is very important, more so than NDL to me), nitrox compatibility, and an ascent rate indicator. It also nice to have a safety stop counter. I'm pretty sure that almost all dive computers have these features.

The reason the N2 loading bar graph is so important is because it gives the best indication of your saturation status at the end of a dive when it's really important to know. You can decide, for example, to stay longer at a safety stop if the bar graph indications that you are near the 'red zone' of mandatory deco. This can help you feel better after diving.

The thing to remember about computers is that they only offer data based on your depth/time. They have no ability to actually monitor your tissue loading, and as such you are best advised (like all divers) to learn whatever you can about DCS, what factors are associated with it, and some basic understanding of how the main deco theories operate. This puts you in control of your dive to a greater extent than following a computer. The PADI encyclopedia of recreational diving has a good chapter that introduces basic deco principles. I'm sure there are other resources. The main thing is that when you dive with more knowledge of how our physiology reacts to breathing compressed air, you can alter your dive behavior. This is the best safety practice.

The differences between the algorithms can seem really daunting, as you could wear two computers on the same dive, and have one telling you your NDL is an hour, while the other might say 5 minutes. That scenario is more likely near the end of a dive when NDL doesn't really matter. But the computers vary greatly in what is called 'offgassing' credit for ascending to shallow depth, and particularly in how the computers express the difference. Again, that N2 loading bar graph can be very useful in this way, because it tends to vary less among the differing algorithms.

Sorry, I haven't been very helpful in recommending a particular computer, I guess because I don't think it matters much. I've had the same aeris atmos for over a decade; it's still working although the backlight is gone and it's getting a little wonky with battery use. I think any of the low price puck computers will work fine. You can spend a lot and really get almost nothing for your money except features that are somewhat useless for normal recreational diving. Some of the newer OLED screens are terrific if you dive in the dark a lot, but they're also pricey. I personally like the more liberal haldanean computers (i.e. oceanic) but I also dive intelligently with a good knowledge of how my dive behavior is likely to affect my post-dive health. Except in cases of multiple deep dives/day like a liveaboard off shore, I'd be perfectly happy diving with a bottom timer and maybe a smart phone app to check dive planning. It's the multiple repetitive dives and aggressive profiles that require more precise calculations, and those dives are inherently riskier regardless of what computer you use.

With appropriate tech. training you can use higher-percent oxygen mixes for accelerated decompression: you'd breathe one gas on the dive and switch to "deco" gas at some point on the way up. Of course, you carry 2 different cylinders. So the computer supports pre-programming of 2 gas mixes and switching them mid-dive.

Recreational limit is up to 50% oxygen-enriched air (nitrox), so basic computers have either air at 21% O2 or nitrox at 22-50% O2. You set it before you splash and usually can't change it once underwater.

If it says "two gas mixes" it should mean the former, but it's worth checking the manual to make sure it's not just some clueless market-spiel instead. Whether you'd actually need that functionality anytime soon is another matter.

i'm a new diver. really new. got my OW license less than a month ago and will be getting my AOW and nitrox this coming june. my dives are all done in warm environment. i have my bcd and regulator already so i'm looking into some dive computers. i'm choosing between a sherwood amphos (suggested by my instructor) and an oceanic geo 2.0
anyone here have any thoughts on this?

The big difference between these computers is the Oceanic has Pelagic DSAT and Pelagic Z+ algorithms and the Amphos only has the Pelagic DSAT algorithm. Aside from that, you will find that both are good computers for recreational diving.
I see a lot of DMs and Instructors using the Oceanic. Personally I use the Amphos and like it very much. If you decide to go with the Amphos, get the USB cable with it as the log function only shows basic info. The Amphos, with the USB cable is compatible with several computer and smart phone log book apps.
Hope this helps!

See link below

A sense of algorithm

Also sent you a message.

This older article is a nice example of non-recreational diving

Yes, the Geo2 does two gases, I believe that is the 2 in Geo2

Last edited:
This older article is a nice example of non-recreational diving

You do know there are places where rec depth limit is 50m, right?

You do know there are places where rec depth limit is 50m, right?

No, I didn't know that, where might the recreational depth limit be 164 feet? NDL on air would be about 4-5 min. Deco is not generally considered recreational diving.

Last edited:
dmaziuk,
of course you can dive as deep as you want on air but most federations accept only 40m max. Try dive to 60m with bottom time 15 minutes on AIR and we'll talk :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom