Looking for my personal best diving spot June/July-Caribbean/C.A./Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the all the info on Thialand Quero!. I do see what you mean...now I wish I had time off in the winter months for the diving there!
whats your level of experience in central America? Do you have any recommendations for liveaboards? Knowing me and my wishes as you do now, lol, .....how would you rate the destinations of Belize, little Corn, Roatan and Columbia for me? I'm still researching those 4 areas but it's ddifficult to know which might be best for what I'm looking for....
believe it or not, I am even considering Vanuatu in the S. pacific as it seems so beautiful, with a rich Melanesian culture.

Alexis, my experience in the Caribbean is limited since I live in Asia (why leave here to go dive there?), the times I've dived in the Caribbean have been "as long as I'm here in North America anyway" trips (actually, I can extend this to my Brazil/Noronha-four-times trips as well), and finally I haven't been that blown away by the diving (it's nice, but not nice enough to make a special trip for). Having said that, I'd personally be most interested in getting on a liveaboard trip to Colombia's Malpelo Island, a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Last edited:
After supplying your previous diving history, I'll second the suggestion of Tobago (Speyside North end). It is simply not a place for new divers, but it sounds like you have the experience. You can actually encounter real-deal Rastafarians if you get in the countryside near Speyside and Charlottesville. You will see from limited research that the North end diving is an E-Ticket kind of deal in terms of current- no doubt the strongest consistent and long duration current dives in the Caribbean. It can be dome pretty reasonably in terms of lodging and food.

In terms of experience, though- you ask for references and comparison versus your experience in and around Roatan. It is an island with many different localized diving zones- big differences. What zones did you previously dive on Roatan? It would be easier to make comparisons with that bit of clarification.

Hi Roatan man, thanks a lot for writing again.. I really appreciate it! I'm not sure how, from this thread thus far, you got the idea that I already have dived Roatan.. I haven't! Roatan is just on my radar of places I am considering for this trip. Roatan, or BeLize or Columbia or Trinidad? I have been certified since 1988, and have dove some pretty exotic locals...but lots of time tends to go by between my trips. My last big trip was in 2007 when I lived in Fernando De Noronha and did 20 or so dives there in a months time. Before that i did the liveaboard between bali and komodo in 2004. In the 1990's i dove in the solomon islands and papua new guinea. So I haven't been diving in 5 years! A trip is long overdue...So i do have experience, just get a little rusty because of the long times between trips not diving! I have done drift dives before, usually with flags and divemaster sticking with me and the group the whole time. like the idea of Trinidad...also like the sound of Malpelo island, Columbia( hammerheads!)but i think the lives boards there are pretty expensive. now that I've clarified some things, what do,you think?

Now we're getting somewhere :)

Hi Roatan man, thanks a lot for writing again.. I really appreciate it! I'm not sure how, from this thread thus far, you got the idea that I already have dived Roatan.. I haven't!
I was trying to offer the "comparison" that you were looking for with...
I've read about Little Corn Island..and wonder how it compares to Roatan..
How do other places compare with the diving on Roatan? Yes, no, maybe so. How do you describe a color to one who has not seen it? There has to be a mutual basis for comparison.

.... on my radar of places I am considering for this trip..... Trinidad? .... like the idea of Trinidad...

Diversteve and I both mentioned Tobago, never a peep about Trinidad. There is no comparison between (TT) Trinidad and Tobago (two islands, one country) in terms of diving and social culture. Trinidad is good for transiting thru the airport. It is on my "rat-hole scale" of (not as bad as) Caracas or (a bit worse than) Belize City. Not only two different geographic plates, but the difference between "city and country". Go to Trinidad (if you must) during Carnival and see what would lure even pre-jaded New Orleans visitors. There's your ample does of culture!

Tobago is treated nationally as their country bumpkin sister. There is a veiled inferiority complex inherent in the populace. Trinidad (the OPEC half of the country) makes sure that all of Tobago's roads are well paved and they supply all the electricity Tobago needs via a very big extension cord. (Go see it at Pigeon Point) The island of Tobago has been protected AND constrained by it's National Park status. The diving on Tobago's South side has been pre-gawked by 40 years of cruise ship types, still nice- but the North end will absolutely get your undivided attention with its insane currents.

Many, many tourists come via large aircraft from England. They come to bird watch. Although diving has been provided for many years to cruise ship visitors on the South End of Tobago, a collective National light bulb illuminated over their heads about 18 years ago in terms of becoming a real-deal diver destination.

Unfortunately, the day-dive ops on the previously well developed Southern end have gotten larger, and equally unfortunate are the number of unqualified divers who have ventured to the North end. This has caused a universal "dumbing down" of that experience. Small boats, essentially no piers, and stiff vertical and lateral currents. The localized Manatas have run for cover and they can only by located by special hire captains.

...but i think the lives boards there are pretty expensive.

Yup, I think that's a valid general statement- liveaboards are very expensive, certainly when compared to most land based. They usually offer a great deal more than land based options, sometimes- such as in the Red Sea or the Galapagos, this is open to debate, but again- by people with no basis for comparison. Very, very few divers have done these areas (or any) by both methods. like so many things, everyone has an opinion, but no basis for comparison... ie: "from what I've heard..."

... now that I've clarified some things, what do,you think?

What we are really talking about here is, in terms of the Caribbean/Bahamas basin, what diving is already accessible yet still relatively good? (that eliminates a number of destinations that are simply not reachable to dive by us mere mortals) In that short list, I place the Outer Bahamas, very localized South Shore Roatan, North end of Tobago. These three areas have very unique and specific u/w geography. The Bahamas and Tobago have some very evident island culture, but Roatan (I don't care what locality therein), the culture is pretty mutated. The macro creatures in this zone make up for it.

You can get a lot of interesting Bahamas diving at http://www.ridingrock.com/ The Bahamas do not end at Grand Bahama or Nassau.

We can diverge into esoterica- places in the Caribbean that used to have "fairly easy" access or never had any access (yet). The area of Los Roques (VZ) was open to us for a moment with a PH liveaboard, but no longer. Many flock to Grenada, enjoy the Bianca C wreck, but 99.99% are unaware of the true allure of it's so-far inaccessible NE barrier islands. The list goes on and on of "you can't get there from here" kinds of places- like Swan Island Honduras http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bay-islands/354295-cisne-swan-island.html

You apparently didn't like my original answer, but a few others here did validate it. And, I did predict the Tulum cave response :wink: From your prior experiences, from your list of requirements, it really is an impossible checklist to fill. It's better that you adjsut your critera, rather than now asking others to tell you what destinations would fit your list if they were to modify your needs. That would be never-ending and "our desires"... not yours. I could diverge, as some have, from your question and add alternative world-wide destinations that you might like and would certainly fulfill your other requirements, but that wasn't within the scope.

If you want literally on-the-edge places (but still in the specified geographic zone) , Yes- check out Corn, Guanaja, and Cayos Cochinos. They have resident diving services, but getting there can be a hump, not impossible.

Last edited:
Diversteve and I both mentioned Tobago, never a peep about Trinidad. There is no comparison between (TT) Trinidad and Tobago (two islands, one country) in terms of diving and social culture. Trinidad is good for transiting thru the airport. It is on my "rat-hole scale" of (not as bad as) Caracas or (a bit worse than) Belize City.
What Doc said ^ - also I have a buddy who travels to many third-world areas regularly - works for the oil companies training workers on-site - so he's been to places I've never even heard of. The only place he's ever been robbed was his hotel room in Trinidad - and they put him up in pretty nice places usually.

State Dept. Travel Advisory for Trinidad/Tobago:
CRIME: The incidence of violent crime remains high on both islands and affects local and expatriate communities, and tourists. You should exercise caution and good judgment as in any large urban area. Be particularly cautious when traveling after dark from Trinidad’s Piarco Airport as incidents have been reported involving armed robbers trailing arriving passengers from the airport and accosting them in remote areas of the airport parking lot, on the highway leading from the airport to downtown Port of Spain, and outside the gates of residences. Areas of metro Port of Spain to avoid include Laventille, Morvant, Sea Lots, South Belmont, scenic rest stops (after dark), the inside of the Queen’s Park Savannah, and downtown Port of Spain (after dark), as tourists are particularly vulnerable to pick-pocketing and armed assaults in these locations. Holiday periods, especially Christmas and Carnival, often see an increase in criminal activity.

Violent crimes, including assault, kidnapping for ransom, sexual assault and murder, have involved expatriate residents and tourists, including U.S. citizens. The perpetrators of many of these crimes have not been arrested.

Burglaries of private residences are common. Robbery is a risk, particularly in urban areas and especially near ATMs and shopping malls. You should avoid wearing expensive jewelry, riding in flashy cars or displaying large amounts of money in public. In some cases, robberies of Americans have turned violent and resulted in injuries after the victim resisted handing over valuables.

In Tobago, violent crime ishigh, including attacks on expatriate residents and tourists in their residences, many of which involve the use of machetes.. There have been reports of home invasions in the Mt. Irvine/Buccoo Bay, and Bacolet areas, and robberies occurring at the waterfalls and on isolated beaches in Tobago where visitors are not in a group. If you rent a villa or private home, the Embassy urges you to ensure adequate, 24-hour security measures are in place.

Be cautious when visiting isolated beaches or scenic overlooks where robberies can occur. In Trinidad, for example, there are isolated strips of beach at Las Cuevas, just beyond Maracas Bay, where visitors have been robbed of valuables. You should not walk alone or in unfamiliar areas. Valuables left unattended on beaches and in other public places are vulnerable to theft. You should avoid neighborhoods known for high crime rates. When in doubt, consult the establishment where you are staying to identify areas to be avoided.

Traditional, non-shared, marked yellow-cab-style taxis do not exist in Trinidad and Tobago. Unmetered, unmarked private taxis are available at the airports and major hotels. You can hire them to take you door to door (fares should be agreed upon in advance). Private taxis and route taxis both have plate numbers beginning with “H”. You should ensure your taxi is not a route taxi before getting in, because route taxis will stop to pick up additional passengers. Crimes including rapes, assaults, robberies and thefts have taken place inside shared taxis. These taxis have also caused serious traffic accidents when they swerved suddenly across several lanes of roadway in order to pick up or discharge passengers. You should also avoid small buses and vans known as “Maxi Taxis” for the same reasons. You should therefore use only private taxis for transportation around Port of Spain, and only private taxis or full-sized inter-city buses for travel between cities.

---------- Post added ----------

If you are wanting to do a reasonably priced liveaboard - look at Rocio Del Mar. In July they'll be diving the Midriff Islands in the Sea of Cortez. You can fly here (Phoenix) and take a $100 shuttle that drops you at the boat in Puerto Penasco, MX. The trips are $2295 plus fees/tips etc. It's one of the newer liveaboards around and was built by the owners for diving - I know one of them slightly.http://www.rociodelmarliveaboard.com/midriff.html

Little Corn Island does not offer great diving, it happens sometimes on a very lucky day but in general diving there is based on seeing corals and sponges, not fish. I work 6 months on Big Corn Island and apart form diving The Blowin Rock (not always as good) I did not fall in love in diving there....It also cannot be compare to diving in Roatan!

Thanks a lot for your responses!
Don't know how I got Trinidad and Tobago mixed up..thanks for the clarification though!..I predicted there would be some scary state depart travel advisory stuff on the country...almost every country in world where the population is mostly people of color gets a state dept. travel advisory stamp..imagine if I paid attention to the fear mongering in the past.. I'd have never gone to Papua New Guinea, Cuba, or Brazil... I was robbed in one way or another in all those places by the way...
Ive also been robbed in NYC and sexually harassed in Amsterdam...I'm sure you see what im getting at...that said, it's true you do have to be "in the mood" to travel outside the fenced-in tourist resorts and mix with the locals.. Since there is always a chance of crime, you have to always be on your toes and engage your "street smarts" .. And that can be tiring after a while...I know from experience! So i have to ask myself what do I have the energy for on this trip? I guess i find myself leaning towards more R &R with less emphasis on negotiating a very intense street culture.. Doesn't mean I want to stay in a resort though! Im traveling alone, so staying on a live aboard or a hostel or with locals is more conducive to meeting people.. A resort would be very isolated.. OK, anyway...:focus:
Roatanman said,
if u want literally on-the-edge places (but still in the specified geographic zone) , Yes- check out Corn, Guanaja, and Cayos Cochinos. They have resident diving services, but getting there can be a hump, not impossible.
Gaunaja and cayos Cochinos are both in the Roatan area..so what would be the best way to dive them? Is there a live aboard that goes around to all these sites or are there places to stay in Cayos Cochinos and Guanaja?
also previously Diversteve said
Possibly South Belize near Placencia also - about the only place you can dive with Whale sharks - Mexico is snorkel only also - but the last days for that are June 4-14 this year - it's based on the Cubera Snapper spawning after the full moon and occurs only at Gladden Spit offshore from Placencia. There are some affordable accommodations near town - or more expensive resorts up along the coast - some of which also run day trips out there. As do several of the AI's on the atolls but they're pretty isolated. Other things to do in that area include river tours, the Mayan ruins, howler monkeys, the jaguar preserve, jungle treks etc. Cruise ships do go to Belize but they moor offshore from Belize City so no impact on Placencia.
so maybe a combo trip of south Belize and the Bay Islands? (I have a month to travel) But Diver Steve, are you saying that after June 14 the whale sharks move on from the area, or there are no more dive trips that go out after June 14? If I wasn't to arrive there until July, there would be no diving in the area?
I would be VERY keen to see whales or whale sharks diving...Would that also be possible in Sea of Cortez in June/July?
If you are wanting to do a reasonably priced liveaboard - look at Rocio Del Mar. In July they'll be diving the Midriff Islands in the Sea of Cortez. You can fly here (Phoenix) and take a $100 shuttle that drops you at the boat in Puerto Penasco, MX. The trips are $2295 plus fees/tips etc. It's one of the newer liveaboards around and was built by the owners for diving - I know one of them slightly.Rocio Del Mar Liveaboard - Midriff Islands

I was looking at this live aboard previously, and saw that the area I'd rather do is the Soccorro islands, but the season for them is closed. What do you all know about the Midriff trip? What megafauna is likely to be seen?

Also Roatan man..
It's better that you adjsut your critera, rather than now asking others to tell you what destinations would fit your list if they were to modify your needs. That would be never-ending and "our desires"... not yours. I could diverge, as some have, from your question and add alternative world-wide destinations that you might like and would certainly fulfill your other requirements, but that wasn't within the scope.

Well, I have tried to adjust my criteria already if you look back.. And yes, Quero responded with some info about Thialand and Malaysia which I really appreciated. As I stated to her, i would consider other world wide destinations. I was focusing on the Caribbean and Central America just because it would be cheaper to get there. But if other destinations in other countries are cheaper to stay and dive, like Thialand, then the more expensive flight would be OK. Thialand is OUT only because it's not the season for the best diving there. As I stated, I am actually considering Vanuatu...so Roatanman, if some other worldwide destination idea comes up In your responses to me, please share!!!
thanks everyone...little by little, I'm getting somewhere!:acclaim:

Roatanman said,

Gaunaja and cayos Cochinos are both in the Roatan area..so what would be the best way to dive them? Is there a live aboard that goes around to all these sites or are there places to stay in Cayos Cochinos and Guanaja?
Utila Aggressor is the only liveaboard in that area. They dive part of the week off Utila, part off Roatan and also visit several seamounts not normally done by day boat from either. I've done many of the dives they mention in their itinerary off both Roatan and Utila during a week on each island. http://www.aggressor.com/subpage14.php Plantation Beach Resort is a dive resort on Cayos - IDK anything else about it.
so maybe a combo trip of south Belize and the Bay Islands? (I have a month to travel)
That's doable, there's one option to take a bus to the border and cross over into Honduras - then either fly from Tegucigalpa or San Pedro Sula or take the ferry from La Ceiba to either island. You can also fly locally between Belize City and San Pedro Sula on Tropic Air. From Placencia to Belize City is almost hourly IIRC.
But Diver Steve, are you saying that after June 14 the whale sharks move on from the area, or there are no more dive trips that go out after June 14? If I wasn't to arrive there until July, there would be no diving in the area?
There's three peak weekends during/after a full moon in spring/summer when the snapper spawn - which brings in the whale sharks. After that it's my belief that they move to the Holbox, MX area for part of the summer. They show up off Utila, move up to Belize, then further up the coast to MX. I spent a week at Deep Blue Utila several years ago during a peak Whale Shark Research week there - in late March - talks by the experts seemed to confirm this migration.

The peak time that's left this year - from the Splash Dive website:
Our 2012 Belize Whale Shark diving package dates:
• June 4th - June 14rd
Of course there's other diving all year round in Belize, just not with Whale Sharks...personally if I was going during a non-whale shark time I think I'd stay at one of the atoll resorts farther north - closer to Lighthouse Reef, the Blue Hole and or Turneffe - that's supposed to be the best of Belize.
I would be VERY keen to see whales or whale sharks diving...Would that also be possible in Sea of Cortez in June/July?
Afaik the only place you can dive with Whale Sharks semi-reliably is Belize. It's snorkel only in Holbox and I would assume elsewhere in Mexico also.
I was looking at this live aboard previously, and saw that the area I'd rather do is the Soccorro islands, but the season for them is closed.
They do see them in Socorro but not in the summer - in Oct/Nov and Apr/May. Nautilus Explorer is running an 11day Socorro/Sea of Cortez combo trip June 24th-July 4th but it's $3775pp. https://www.nautilusbookings.com/?destination=explorer
What do you all know about the Midriff trip? What megafauna is likely to be seen
It's in the link I posted:
Dive on untouched walls and reefs abounding in marine life. Encounter great and small whale species, whale sharks, manta and jumping mobula rays, and sea lion colonies. Hike and explore remote uninhabited islets.

[user]Dora the Explorer[/user] owns the boat so would probably be the best person to ask what to expect in mid-July. Or call their office - it's in Phoenix.

Last edited:
Diversteve, how would you rate the diving in costa rica compared to these other destinations were talking about? I know most CR diving is in the Pacific, not Caribbean, but just curious about a comparison of megafauna one might be able to see...

Back
Top Bottom