Looking for new dive spot close to virginia beach since closing of lake rawlings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jebsurf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
The wife don't like diving in the ocean. And since soon to be closing of Rawlings…. Looking for a new dive spot within driving of vb. Don't really care for cold water so would rather go south. Any suggestions would be great being I have no idea. Thanks guys

Fanstasy Lake Scuba Park is 3 hrs from Virginia Beach.

Awesome. Good call. Exactly what I'm looking for except I may be looking for something a little more south for warm water. I will deff check that place out for a late summer dive tho. Water prob warms up nice late summer. Any more suggestions ?

What do you consider driving distance??? Driving distance to me is Ginnie springs....to others is Raleigh. Either way unless you get to Florida, you aren't going to find many Warm Freshwater dives within driving distance.

Water prob warms up nice late summer. Any more suggestions ?

Fantasy Lake runs warmer than Rawlings. During the summer the top layer (above 35 ft) will run from 70s up to 80s in the shallows. Late summer/Fall the viz drops a bit.

Lots of locals would be happy to give you a tour if you want.

What do you consider driving distance??? Driving distance to me is Ginnie springs....to others is Raleigh. Either way unless you get to Florida, you aren't going to find many Warm Freshwater dives within driving distance.

I hear that 100%. I want to find something between here and ginnie springs. I don't mind driving that far tho if need be. Also the wife is a beginner so she would love warm, clear water. The cold darkness turns her off around here.

Fantasy Lake runs warmer than Rawlings. During the summer the top layer (above 35 ft) will run from 70s up to 80s in the shallows. Late summer/Fall the viz drops a bit.

Lots of locals would be happy to give you a tour if you want.

Hmmm. I will have to check in on that for sure. When would you say the best time to go would be?

Only place in VB worth using is DQ's pool. Ginnie is next best and in 6 weeks or when the doctor releases me (broke/cracked both left arm bones, at the wrist) to dive, I will make a quicky weekend run just to get wet. Then our season starts in May.

I have the feeling, personally, that it is changing of the guard at Rawlings. Wait and see, I guess.

Summersville Lake in Summersville, WV is not far from you. It is the #1 tourist attraction in West Virginia and the lake is called "The Little Bahamas of the East!" by "Skin Diver Magazine".
The summertime season runs from Memorial Weekend thru Labor Day weekend. Sarge's Dive Shop is located on the lake. You can drive up to Sarge's in a car or boat.
The lake is an oligotrophic lake with steep cliffs that run 75 feet above the water down to a depth of about 100 feet below the water. Their are u/w cliffs, boulders, stumps, swim-thrus, and fish to see. The visibility varies from 20-40 feet depending upon rainfall. The depth of the lake ranges from 0-300+ feet. Surface temps in July-Sept are approx. 85 degrees. Sarge's Dive Shop is a full-service ERDI/SDI/NAUI dive center. It is an authorized Sherwood, Akona, Genesis, DUI, OTS, Dive Rite Mfg, Henderson, Spare Air, and Deep See dealer. We have a lake charter service for swimming, diving, snorkeling, and lake tours. We also have air, rental gear, sales, classes, and repair services. We would love for you to check us out.
Business Phone: 304-872-1782
Facebook: /scubawv
Cell: Mark Allen 304-880-0451
Email: mark@sarges.net

Back
Top Bottom