Looking for new watch sized PDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use and really like the Geo 2.0 and I wear it as a watch between dives but not daily. The Aqualung i200 is a repackaged Geo 2 but without the option to use DSAT setting. So the GEO and i200 must be considered current technology though the Geo has been out about 4 years. I would buy whichever one is cheaper and available.

I use and really like the Geo 2.0 and I wear it as a watch between dives but not daily. The Aqualung i200 is a repackaged Geo 2 but without the option to use DSAT setting. So the GEO and i200 must be considered current technology though the Geo has been out about 4 years. I would buy whichever one is cheaper and available.
Not that it matters, I believe the Geo 2 came out in 2009, I've had one since 2011

Not that it matters, I believe the Geo 2 came out in 2009, I've had one since 2011

I think that's right, now that I think back I got my Geo about 2011.

The decompression algorithm is important me, I've been diving DSAT since 2002 and could not dive PZ+. This takes the Aqua Lung computers off my list, to each their own. The Sherwood Amphos is another version of this same computer, it runs only DSAT. All 3 of these computers, the Geo 2, the i200, and the Amphos, are manufactured by Pelagic Pressure Systems, now owned by Aqua Lung. The Amphos happens to be currently on sale for $300.

For value in the current market, I think is hard to beat the Aeris A300.
Amazon.com: Aeris A300 Wrist Computer ~Includes now FREE the Digital online class to get the most out of your dive computer.: Sports & Outdoors

$199: Nitrox, mulitgas, freedive and gauge mode (i think), DSAT or PZ+ algorithm, 3 buttons, user changeable battery which is a standard watch type batter, and gets to your house in 2 days with Amazon Prime.
Only three negatives:
1. USB cable costs an extra $80 and is difficult to find. I haven't bought one.
2. Its larger than a standard watch, and not stylish as the Geo2. I wouldn't mind wearing it between dives or when I needed to carry it (like on a plane), but you would get weird looks wearing while going out to a nice dinner.
3. Aeris was bought by Oceanic, and now Oceanic is bought out. But for 199 I am not sure if customer support or warranties are a big deal.

considering that a) mares puck can be had for $150, its cable is $50, and mares is still around, and b) another huish formerly known as hollis dg03 can be had for the same $199 with AI integration and easy to get download cable, you really have to like dsat very much to call a300 "hard to beat value".

I don't disagree. For the DG03 the cables cost the same so value is equal, but the cable is easier to find with DG03. I would personally still choose A300 because I actually do want DSAT, but others likely value other strengths/weaknesses. Nice that there are options at these prices.

...could not dive PZ+.

PZ+ is a proprietary version of Bulhmann ZH-L16C. It is considerably too conservative for me, for my mainly recreational diving. I have been diving DSAT for 15 years, 1300 dives.

considering that a) mares puck can be had for $150, its cable is $50, and mares is still around, and b) another huish formerly known as hollis dg03 can be had for the same $199 with AI integration and easy to get download cable, you really have to like dsat very much to call a300 "hard to beat value".
If I have to make a choice between A300 and DG03, I will go for the former. It has nothing to do with the algorithm but the ease of operation. Both my buddies hate their DG03 for the same reason and replaced their asap.
DGX has reduced the price of DG03 to $199.00. Good value if anyone is looking for a three gas nitrox computer.

Back
Top Bottom