Looking for PADI Rescue Course info..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparky30 once bubbled...
How far do I have to tow the tired diver?

my instructor mentioned 25 Meters but am not sure if that is the tired diver tow or the 'bring the diver to the surface, start rescue breathing/in-water resusitation, take off his/her gear and get em to shore' simulation.

either way, we musta done way more than that for the tired diver tow in the pool drills alone. but it helps refine the technique (posture in the water when towing/pushing/dragging a classmate whop outweights me by 30% :D ). he was our favorite victim, by the way.

oh, and the class duration i mentioned does not include the EFR/MFA nor does it include DAN O2.

one other interesting bit we did was to get in the pool and look at BOW students - to see what discomfort looks like underwater, saucer eyes, etc.

I'm about to do my Rescue Course as well. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm not sure how long it goes for.

Is it physically strenuous?

Sebastian once bubbled...
I'm about to do my Rescue Course as well. I'm looking forward to it.

I'm not sure how long it goes for.

Is it physically strenuous?

I had the same question before I started. The short answer is: it depends. On your instructor and on the conditions. I did mine in the ocean from the shore. Some days were good, some others were a little rougher. But it wasn't boot camp! The program is usually adapted to the physical strength of the student. One of the rescue principle is the same as diving: know your limits. In an emergency situation, as a rescuer, you don't want to create another crisis by putting yourself at risk.

You do need to be in good shape and be able to swim several 100's yards. You will definitely appreciate the notion of streamlining as you strip the "victim" off his or her gear while swimming. Hardest physical part was probably egressing. I carried a 200lbs guy out of the water, on my shoulders with the waves breaking...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom