Looking for replacement camera and wider angle lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
My Sony HDR-HC3 camera has recently given up the ghost, and I'm looking for a replacement for it. Was never really happy with it because it didn't have a wide enough field of view. Is there any relatively cheap mini-DV cameras with a wide field of view that you all would recommend?

My Sony HDR-HC3 camera has recently given up the ghost, and I'm looking for a replacement for it. Was never really happy with it because it didn't have a wide enough field of view. Is there any relatively cheap mini-DV cameras with a wide field of view that you all would recommend?

GoPro HD Hero SPECS PAGE - EyeOfMine Multimedia

I believe the Gopro HD or Contour HD will be the U/W video setup to beat. Reason #1 Cost... #2 They have the widest native lens than any HD camcorder. The picture quality you get in a HD camcorder is degraded when you start adding a wide angle lens (the more extra glass you pile on the worst the image quality) , the Gopro HD or Contour HD does not need this add on lense.

#3 the size of the smaller cameras makes for better picture shooting angles. #4 longer battery life, since there are no battery draining motors for the zoom/auto focus and LCD monitors.

Cons: No external monitor output (not yet) and the housing makers should put a dome port on their houisings, to take advantage of the native wide angle lense.

Last edited:
I use a Canon Powershot SD980 in an Ikelite housing, I feel the FOV is quite good compared to other smaller HD cameras. Also, the Ikelite housing can accept a wide-angle lens ($$), with this camera I'd be worried about the camera seeing more than I do, making it even more of a face magnet than it already is :/ . That's not necessarily a bad thing, though...

You can check out my videos in my signature link to see if that's what you like.

Peace,
Greg

I use a Canon Powershot SD980 in an Ikelite housing, I feel the FOV is quite good compared to other smaller HD cameras. Also, the Ikelite housing can accept a wide-angle lens ($$), with this camera I'd be worried about the camera seeing more than I do, making it even more of a face magnet than it already is :/ . That's not necessarily a bad thing, though...

You can check out my videos in my signature link to see if that's what you like.

Peace,
Greg

Hi
Very good point about using compact cameras for video...did you see the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX5V? HD 1080 video in a compact digital camera! HD 1080 was only for the big boy DSLRs! I checked the lense angle on the Sony at a local store...pretty wide already, all it needs is a dome port! And the auto focus is like a dream! Very quick from macro to distance to macro again. List for $350.00 Ikelite should drop everything and make a housing with a dome port for this one. HD 1080 and 10mp stills in one shot and a built in GPS as a bonus! Wow!

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5V and TX7 Compact Cameras

PS. good video at Kahe, I was there two weeks ago. Regards

Last edited:
Hi
Very good point about using compact cameras for video...did see you the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX5V? HD 1080 video in a compact digital camera! HD 1080 was only for the big boy DSLRs! I checked the lense angle on the Sony at a local store...pretty wide already, all it needs is a dome port! And the auto focus is like a dream! Very quick from macro to distance to macro again. List for $350.00 Ikelite should drop everything and make a housing with a dome port for this one. HD 1080 and 10mp stills in one shot and a built in GPS as a bonus! Wow!

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5V and TX7 Compact Cameras

PS. good video at Kahe, I was there two weeks ago. Regards

Wow...and they finally joined the rest of the world and included SD/SDHC in their cameras. One thing that turned me off about Sony is their insistence on using their proprietary MMC card which...nothing else in the world uses. I'd recommend my Canon in a heartbeat because of it's very multi-purpose uses, but these new Sonys may start getting suggested as well :wink:. Thanks for the info.

Peace,
Greg

Thanks, what did Best Buy find wrong?

Fuzzy, out of focus photos. Poor low light photos. Look up the product on the site and you can see them all. It still averaged 4 out of 5 stars, but the negatives all looked to me like they would affect underwater photos.

I wouldn't rule it out, but I also wouldn't be the first to buy one for scuba pics.

Thanks for the replies. I really need a full size camera though, preferably miniDV. I work for a government organization here in Florida and because of the oil spill we'll need to go look at our local artificial reefs and document everything we can once things settle down. While I appreciate your suggestions I need something a bit more fully featured, especially when it comes to optics, than point-and-shoot cameras and mountable cameras. :p

I've got the Sony HX5V. I did some test with the Canon SX210 and was more pleased with the Sony even if the spec are bether for the Canon. (my test where not underwater) I always had Canon before and was very hapy with them. but the SX210 disapionted me a bit (the flash pop out. quality of the pic even at 14Mpix) The Sony as only a f3.5 at max wide angle but because it as the EXMOR ccd sensor it is more sensible to light. My plan was to use it underwater so I did some test at very low light (wish i could have done it underwater but I coulded buy the casing and bring it back for refund) and the sony was better even if the Canon as a f3.1 .

I'm getting the casing from Ikelite soon and will do some test and try to post them here.

I realy wish this set up will work fine(Sony HX5V, Ikelite casing, Sea & Sea YS01, I-torch Video light) It makes a very nice kit that is very light for travel, does HD video and very affordable.

Rodrigue:)

Back
Top Bottom