Looking for suggestions for a day dive trip close or on the way to Miami...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jebsurf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Going to miami in the next month and the wife and I want to do a day dive trip. Noting expensive or excessive, but just a simple 2 tank dive or something. Looked into Ginnie springs but from what I've read online they won't let you do much in terms of exploring if you're not certified cavern/cave diver and as I've never been there, it doesn't look like much to do there if you can't go anywhere past the entrance hole(yes I understand why). Honestly the wife is a "newer" diver(under 20 logged dives, all under 80ft) but she's comfortable in her element so a easy dive would be ideal for say. She's never dove the ocean, and to be honest, I'd/we'd like to be in warm water if possible(I'm not sure of water temps this time of the year for you guys).

Any suggestions would be awesome. Also this dive would take place on a Friday(not sure if that matters)

I would think if you want a shore dive - Blue Heron Bridge with a guide in West Palm Beach should be on your list. I have seen multiple octopus, seahorses and such - BHB is teaming with life if that is your thing. Shallow dive and I would imagine you would get only one dive if the tides are right. Being in the bay it is warm water for me.

Ahhhhh! After a quick google search, thats a very good suggestion! Thank you good sir!

Or, stop by Jupiter Dive Center and take the Jupiter Wreck Trek. Goliaths . . . .

I like the idea of BHB too. You can hire a guide from Force-E or Pura Vida: two nearby shops. Also look into the shallow reef line in Pompano: it's only 25 or 30 feet deep and is a nice easy boat dive and would be a good first ocean dive if the marine conditions are calm. Operators I've used include South Florida Dive HQ, Scubatyme and Pompano Dive Center. Or drive past Miami and spend a day in the keys: Key Largo is great for newer divers. I've dove with Rainbow Reef, Silent World and Conch Republic.

I second the BHB, great for new divers too.
For a local bridge guide send a PM TO @Scuba_Jenny , @JahJahwarrior , or @BHB ScubaTroll who dive there often.
There is also a dive shop right there as well Blue Heron Bridge Scuba - The Best Shore Diving in the Americas - Blue Heron Bridge Scuba andhhttp://littledeepercharters.com an hook you up right there with tanks weights, any other gear, or guides and boat trips out to the reefs & local wrecks off WPB.
Just a bit south is Boynton Beach, lovely reefs. Contact @Scubakevdm Underwater Explorers
Or @wilsway at Starfish.
In Ft Lauderdale, SeaExperience.
If you come down to Key Largo, let me know...lots of options down here to choose from.

I would personally go south of Miami instead of north. Key Largo is only about 1 hr drive from Miami. Key Largo is awesome. :) BHB is about the same drive. Ginnie springs is like a 5 hour drive, one way... If I had to pick between BHB and Key Largo, I would pick Key Largo every time!

Thank you all VERY MUCH for the input! You guys have some great suggestions! I will be looking into al leads for sure! Thanks again and if anyone else has some more suggestions, keep them coming.

I would personally go south of Miami instead of north. Key Largo is only about 1 hr drive from Miami. Key Largo is awesome. :) BHB is about the same drive. Ginnie springs is like a 5 hour drive, one way... If I had to pick between BHB and Key Largo, I would pick Key Largo every time!

Do you have any suggestions on dives out of Key Largo..? I have no problem at all on driving a little past Miami to a ideal dive spot that I'm looking for!

As much as I love BHB and Palm Beach, for new ocean divers Key Largo is far and away the better choice. Gorgeous reefs, shallow depths, usually calm, usually clear, tons and tons of tropical fish of every type.

During March, expect water temps in the high 70s. For two tank trips, I like a full 3 mil suit.

As for operators in Key Largo, just contact mselenaous above, she works with Rainbow Reef, a very good operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom