looking for suggestions on a new computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving and this site. I could use some suggestions I am looking at getting a new dive computer that I can down load onto my computer, but I need to know witch ones are good and easy to use and will work with vista anyone have a suggestion?

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

You will find many opinions and suggestions on computers. Here is a link to a current thread http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/computers-gauges-watches-analyzers/365861-computer.html by a diver who has narrowed his search a bit.

Post #11 in that thread has some good links.

Also, the forum that thread is in has a couple of good "sticky" threads (they are always "stuck" at the top of the list) on things to consider when buying a computer.

One thing I've found is that the download cables are overpriced. My local dive shop sold me a computer, and suggested that instead of buying the cable, I bring my laptop to the shop and use theirs. Maybe someone local to you will have a similar arrangement.

Good Luck and Good Diving!

Many of the diving computers have non-OEM cables available, at a fraction of the cost. Try a search on EBay.

Also... some non-downloadable computers actually ARE. The Suunto Gekko is not advertised as downloadable... but Suunto just changed the firmware so that it accesses a different port on your computer than the 'host' Suunto software uses. There's a hack for the Suunto Dive Manager software that allows full download functionality with the Gekko.

I'd guess that certain other dive computers had simular 'potential'. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom